Why become a member? ×

Going to see the support band...

odysseus

All the time.

In the 80s used to follow a great local band called "None So Blind" who were often support to well-known acts playing at Nottingham University.

Went to see Fields Of The Nephilim about 5 years ago specifically to catch HIM who were the support act.

Also plenty of gigs where I was there for both the support and the headliners - Sunscream supporting Jesus Jones and 23 Jewels supporting Sector 27 spring to mind but there were lots more.

Did backfire when I bought tickets to see Blink 182 because the support was going to be Death Cab For Cutie. By the time of the gig Death Cab had pulled out of the tour because Benjamin Gibbard was ill, so I had to endure two second rate "alt-rock" bands and Blink 182 who apart from a couple of singles I wasn't really that keen on...

• Like 1

Bought tickets for a Simple Minds Once Upon A Time gig at NEC just to see Shriekback supporting them.

Shriekback were their usual brilliant selves, and Simple Minds were a far cry from the New Gold Dream band/sound that I’d seen just a few years before. I thought they were rotten, if I’m being honest.

I went so see an NME tour with Cribs, Mystery Jets and Arctic Monkeys on the bill below a headlining Kaiser Chiefs.

At that point Arctic Monkeys had just suddenly become huge, just about everyone was there to see them, to the point that when Kaiser Chiefs came on the room was noticably emptier because people had left after Arctic Monkeys.

I always check out the supports and have gone specifically for the support a number of times. The one that immediately comes to mind is Cynic supporting Opeth. At the time, Cynic was a bucket list band and, even though I like Opeth, I couldn't even keep interested to the end of their set and left early. Cynic was just too good an experience. I went to see Sepultura support In Flames, never liked In Flames. I travelled to the Bloodstock festival years ago just to see Atheist, who were playing early enough in the day. Only Metal Church, of the other bands on the bill, were of any interest at all.

I think most regular gig goers have done this, especially when it's a foreign band touring the UK for the first time. The one that jumps out for me was a little known Atlanta band called Biters who I saw in Oxford. Can't recall the headliners but I left after a couple of songs - got a nice early night and a few months later Biters split so had I waited for them to come back and headline, I would never have seen them! 

4 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

Went to see corrosion of conformity who were supporting megadeth back in 95 

I saw COC support Megadeth on that tour and they blew megadeth away. Another one at that time was Downset supporting Pantera, Downset were brilliant. 

The only support I've actually gone to see specifically over the main act was Pride and Glory (Zakk Wylde's band) supporting Whitesnake. Only found out once there that P&G had pulled out. About fifteen minutes into Whitesnake's set they started the solo's. About a three minute guitar solo, then bass, by the middle of the drum solo we'd walked. The only concert I've ever left early. 

About 20 years ago went to see All About Eve supporting Fairport Convention at Symphony Hall - quite like a bit of folky stuff if in the right mood and have a few Fairport CDs lying around, but probably wouldn't have gone if AAE hadn't been there. Would have been perfectly happy to stay and watch all Fairport's set but (for those who know the place) I was in the very steep upstairs bit at the back and started to feel more than a little wobbly, don't do heights too well so had to leave very early 😞  was quite sad to miss the rest, they had been very entertaining till then!

3 hours ago, Maude said:

I saw COC support Megadeth on that tour and they blew megadeth away. Another one at that time was Downset supporting Pantera, Downset were brilliant. 

The only support I've actually gone to see specifically over the main act was Pride and Glory (Zakk Wylde's band) supporting Whitesnake. Only found out once there that P&G had pulled out. About fifteen minutes into Whitesnake's set they started the solo's. About a three minute guitar solo, then bass, by the middle of the drum solo we'd walked. The only concert I've ever left early. 

Snap!!!

First concert Pantera at Manchester Apollo.  Downset support. I was 16, 1994 I'm fairly sure.   Both fantastic.  This was in the days of getting a coach to and from Manchester Concerts from our local town.  On the coach was an older brother of a lad I went through school with, he gave me and my pal a couple of beers, had a good chat about him not realising I was into 'this' sort of music.  I remember we were seated in the Apollo and he was standing at the front, about 2 rows of standing at the front, the rest all seated!.  So jealous.  My neck was sore for days after!!

Few months later, Megadeth and CoC, again both great. Youthanasia tour, I took my girlfriend's sister (!!), We got the meet and greet with the band after for donating some tins of food.  As memory serves, I had to run into town again to buy the Ltd Ed 2 CD (with Hidden Gems) for the meet and greet token.

Good Times.....

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 1

Just the once that I can recall. Went to see Threshold supporting Kamelot at the LA2 in London back in about 2007. I’ve known most of the Threshold guys for years.

That was the night that the Kamelot bass player managed to dislocate his knee on the second song while doing a stage move (OUCH!!!).

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1