PlungerModerno

Wrap-lock headless tuner concept by Sankeyguitars

I'm not sure where to post this really: http://www.sankeyguitars.com/whatsnew/2018/10/1/new-invention-wrap-lock-headless-tuner It's from a few years ago, and the examples are all guitars - but I can see it working with tapered or exposed core bass strings without scaling it up significantly. Not sure if it would be that useful on most basses with all wound strings but a piccolo bass or a six string (or more) with plain strings might benefit immensely over some of the standard set screw arrangements.

IMG_2141.jpg?format=1000w

I think I might have stumbled across a possible path to tool-less headless single-ball-end string changes, if only you could implement a nifty automatic clipping system like some locking tuners have!

Does anybody know of something that exists that does all this singing and dancing? The closest I can think of is the  NS Design Self-Clamping Tuning System which you still will want to clip the strings for - even if it was on the market as a bridge seems like a lot of routing, forces a certain string spacing, and would not allow for rear or other interesting, shrouded or angled tuner arrangements due to the tuning knobs being where they are (like a volume knob, 90 degrees from the usual headless arrangement, parallel to the strings).

Edited by PlungerModerno
Inserted pic. It really needed a pic.
  • Like 1

The picture is cropped, so I suppose there is a bridge? That kind of a system moves the string so much that fine tuning would be next to impossible. Status, Steinberger and all others using double ball end strings have similar bridges.

How about Phil Kubicki Ex-Factor:

image.png.55764d17538f92ae8a92716c49044c19.png

• Like 1

You need to look at all the photos in the link provided in the OP for this system to make complete sense. 

I was struggling to see how this worked for both tuning and intonation adjustment, and why the "return" on the string didn't interfere with it until looking at the other photographs I realised that these are just the tail-pieces and there is a completely separate bridge that goes with the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

The picture is cropped, so I suppose there is a bridge? That kind of a system moves the string so much that fine tuning would be next to impossible. Status, Steinberger and all others using double ball end strings have similar bridges.

How about Phil Kubicki Ex-Factor:

image.png.55764d17538f92ae8a92716c49044c19.png

41 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

You need to look at all the photos in the link provided in the OP for this system to make complete sense. 

I was struggling to see how this worked for both tuning and intonation adjustment, and why the "return" on the string didn't interfere with it until looking at the other photographs I realised that these are just the tail-pieces and there is a completely separate bridge that goes with the system.

Yup there's a bridge in that implementation, a slightly longer sleeve/tube and you could easily add a side-clamping set screw or front adjustment screw and a saddle (I say easily, it would be fairly detailed to make it easy to access in such a tiny footprint in single saddle form. I think a separate saddle assembly or individual saddles may be a better overall approach, depending on what you're after of course.

@itu - the Kubicki solution is like the NS Design solution. I like the angle of the tuning knobs more, at least to look at, but it has a lot of the same issues (availability, how to vary string spacing, routing requirements). Other than that it's a beast of a bridge with a fanbase it's clearly earned.

@BigRedX Yup the single pic is quite confusing. I added it in an edit lol.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gardenerben
      For sale or trade a rather lovely ACG Border Reiver. Purchased from the gent that is EAD on here, original ad below.
      The clarity the ACG FB bridge and ACG FB neck pickups offer is fantastic, really open sound. Ergonomics are great, very comfortable to play both standing or seated. Neck has an asymmetric carve so very easy to navigate. You are hard pushed to find a better made bass in this price bracket than an ACG IMHO so price is firm. Overall condition of the bass is excellent, it has mellowed to a more golden colour than the pics suggest.
      Only moving on as trying to limit myself to 34" scale on 4 strings as I find switching between them easier. 
      Swamp ash body 3 piece maple neck ART American Sycamore finger board  SEQ Pre 42mm at nut 3.6kg (on Kitchen scales) Fusion Gig bag  Willing to meet for collection following appropriate guidelines of the time within a reasonable distance. The Fusion gig bag is excellent but for insurance on postage I believe it has to be a hard case. I have one I could use but it's huge and heavy so shipping could be expensive. 

https://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0310brss4/ 

• By BCH
      Progress of my "covid safe restricted space rehearsal room" bass..ha

• By Bassassin
      New Headless Birthday Bass Day!

Thanks to the sterling collaborative efforts of @Paul S and my lovely partner, I got this for me birfday! It's a Riverhead Unicorn RUB1090, from 1985-ish. I've wanted one of these since I tried one at the old Bass Centre in Wapping in 1985, and sadly found myself unequal to the £500 price tag!
      They don't turn up too often & I've missed out on one or two, including this one when it first came up a few months ago. Happily Paul gave me first refusal - and a great excuse to get it at no personal expense! So everyone's a winner!
      This is in nice condition for a 35-ish year old bass. A lot of these are pretty tatty, seemingly the factory finish wasn't too durable, but this has had a decent refin at some point, over the original matt black. The hardware's in near-new condition, which I'm surprised & very pleased about - many of these have corroded-looking metal parts. There's a little bit of fretwear, mostly under the E & A around the first 5 frets or so. A fret level/dress would help but I don't know if I'll bother - Paul's strung it with flats & the slight acoustic rattle doesn't seem to be audible when plugged in. Actually this is the first time I've had flats on a fretted bass in about 15 years & I'm surprised how well they work on this! Through my little Yamaha THR10 it sounds nice & full, with a bit of a Jazz growl to it. Pickups are passive single coils & fairly close to J positioning.
      First impressions are that it's a bit nicer to play than my Hohner B2A or Cort Space headlesses - the chunky pickups provide a more natural feeling hand/thumb position and the narrow (39mm nut) but fairly deep neck makes it feel pretty substantial.
      Very early impressions, I may try a bit of recording with it over the next few days. On the whole, I'm chuffed to bits!

• By Lizzy
      I've been trying to find our more about my Hohner headless bass from the late 80's which  has a jack on the reverse and a strap with a rotating connector so that you can spin the guitar as in ZZ Top style ( but without the fur!).  Does anyone else have this? I can't find out anything about them.
      Luckily it has a conventional jack because it's totally impractical

• By PKeri
      Hi Guys,

For sale or trade my Shuker Series 2 headless bass with Moses graphite neck (Steinberger replacement). I bought this from a fellow basschatter in September and then sent it to Jon to customize it. He installed an ebony ramp to my specs, replaced the EMG knobs with chrome ones and replaced the headpiece to suit single ball strings.

However a few months ago I bought my first ever Ibanez bass (GWB-1) and realized that this is the sort of neck profile I really want (narrow and very slim neck). This neck would also allow me to play 5 strings which is my genuine preference.

Actually the Moses neck is far from chunky and I've found it comfortable to play with my rather small hands.

Condition: 10/10, like new, perfectly set up by Jon + Brand new Elixir strings. The tuners are like butter.

Specs:

- Alder body (not 100% sure)
      - Matt white finish with a shiny texture
      - EMG MMTW pickup
      - 3 way EMG preamp with parametric mids
      - Nut: 39 mm / 24th fret: 57 mm
      - 34” scale Moses graphite neck
      - 16.5 mm string spacing
      -  only 3.5 kg!

I'm not too keen on trades since I have 3 other basses.

Shipping is not included in the asking price.