Why become a member? ×

TI Jazz flats short-scale

scrumpymike

Just received a set and found that they are too long for my 30"-scale Sandberg Cali s-s.  The fully-wound nominal-gauge section of the E string extends 5cms past the string post, which as far as I'm concerned makes them unusable.  Can anybody tell me whether this a known issue with these so-called s-s strings?  The only other explanation would be a mistake in TI's packing department.

Odd isn't it.  They are 32" scale length strings, so the name is a little misleading.  Having said that, I have them fitted to three 30" scale basses with absolutely no issues at all about winding the over the post other than looking a bit clunky.

19 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Odd isn't it.  They are 32" scale length strings, so the name is a little misleading.  Having said that, I have them fitted to three 30" scale basses with absolutely no issues at all about winding the over the post other than looking a bit clunky.

Dohhh!   Just realised that the clue's in the JF324 product code.  A quick look at the TI website confirms that their definition of short, long and extra-long is 32", 34" and 36" respectively.  How quirky is that?  All my Maruszczyk s-s basses came fitted with cut-down standard-scale rounds but I wasn't sure how well that would work with the more rigid flats.  Thanks for the feedback Paul.

On 21/02/2021 at 18:24, Grahambythesea said:

May be they anticipate short scale basses having a tailpiece a d needing the extra length like on a Hofner.

Yes, that was my understanding too - I was told (by a guitar shop owner) they were designed with such basses in mind.

Just for info while we're on the subject of s-s strings, my custom-built s-s gig basses are strung with La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats.  I absolutely love those strings and won't be changing them as my classic rock covers band plays drop-tuned to Eand I think tension would be borderline with the TIs.

PS The La Bellas are the perfect length for 30"-scale basses with normal bridges.

Edited by scrumpymike

12 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Just for info while we're on the subject of s-s strings, my custom-built s-s gig basses are strung with La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats.  I absolutely love those strings and won't be changing them as my classic rock covers band plays drop-tuned to Eand I think tension would be borderline with the TIs.

PS The La Bellas are the perfect length for 30"-scale basses with normal bridges.

I think could well be right re the detuning of low tension strings @scrumpymike 
Incidentally, how does the tension of the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats compare to the TI's?

3 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I think could well be right re the detuning of low tension strings @scrumpymike 
Incidentally, how does the tension of the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats compare to the TI's?

As you would expect from the difference in gauge and construction, the La Bellas are noticeably stiffer/more substantial.  Should add that low tension and action (within reason) are top of my wish list to extend my active gigging life by minimising wear and tear on my hands.  I seem to get that from the La Bellas with drop tuning and from the  TIs drop-tuned.  All very subjective though.

• Thanks 1