Why become a member? ×

Where to put EQ in effects chain

SteveXFR

Generally after compression so that your settings don’t affect  the compression. Unless you want to to affect the compression!

Generally after distortion so that you can adjust the tone after the distortion. Unless you want to adjust the tone before the distortion! E.g. a VT Bass has 2 mid controls, one before the drive section (the character control) and one after along with the rest of the EQ. A high mid boost into dirt is a common thing - it’s effectively what the attack control does on a Darkglass B7K.

Other than that it doesn’t really matter - it might slightly affect how your filter reacts or how your octave tracks, so later in the chain may be preferable.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put usually put an EQ first in the chain because I want it to affect my clean sound before it hits any other effects. If you put it at the end you can use it to EQ the effects. Some fuzz pedals lose low end, so you can use the EQ to add in some bass after if you want.

Like I always say, with pedal order you need to move them around and see how their position in the chain affects the other pedals.

• Thanks 1