Why become a member? ×

Midi latency problem

ReeV0

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with a midi input latency problem I've been experiencing...

Basically, when I have my expression pedal connected directly to my HX Stomp, there's no lag/latency; everything happens instantly. But when I connect it through my DMC.micro into my Stomp, it's sluggish to respond.

This video might illustrate it better:

Cheers for any help/advice

Looks like a combination of poor MIDI implementation on the part of the DMC.micro combined with a the HX Stomp being much better at processing the direct input of the expression pedal. Converting an "analogue" signal to MIDI will always involve some degree of latency, but it shouldn't be as much as you are experiencing in the video. 

Do you NEED to run the expression pedal through the DMC.micro? 

It would be useful if you could give a complete (non-video) run down of how all your devices are interconnected and why, so it might be possible to suggest an alternative setup that will work better.

I would also suggest getting in touch with Disaster Area Designs to see what they say. It could be that your device is faulty? If you have the facilities record the pedal movements against a click track into a DAW so you have a visual record of the latency to show them.

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Looks like a combination of poor MIDI implementation on the part of the DMC.micro combined with a the HX Stomp being much better at processing the direct input of the expression pedal. Converting an "analogue" signal to MIDI will always involve some degree of latency, but it shouldn't be as much as you are experiencing in the video. 

Do you NEED to run the expression pedal through the DMC.micro? 

It would be useful if you could give a complete (non-video) run down of how all your devices are interconnected and why, so it might be possible to suggest an alternative setup that will work better.

I would also suggest getting in touch with Disaster Area Designs to see what they say. It could be that your device is faulty? If you have the facilities record the pedal movements against a click track into a DAW so you have a visual record of the latency to show them.

I've got the expression pedal running through the DMC because it then frees up both external inputs on the Stomp (meaning I can run two extra footswitches for scrolling presets). Also it means I can use the expression pedal with my Source Audio C4, which is connected to the DMC.

This is my setup, sorry it's probably a bit confusing

image.thumb.png.2c87bbce98206c5467739f3e3077c2c5.png

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Got it.

Are you experiencing the same latency with the expression pedal on the C4?

I haven't tried it yet because I don't currently have a patch that uses the expression pedal, but I presume the issue will be there since the expression pedal is running through the DMC

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

It would be useful to know if the problem is at the MIDI out of the DMC or the MIDI in of the HX Stomp.

It's a problem with the DMC because you can see how slow the numbers move, also I just tried it with the C4 and it was laggy

I would get in touch with Disaster Area Designs and check that your DMC.micro isn't faulty. While there will be some latency in the conversion to MIDI it shouldn't be as bad as shown in your video.

Otherwise maybe consider getting separate expression pedals to the HX Stomp and the C4, or look at some way of splitting the "signal" from the expression pedal at the analogue stage.