Why become a member? ×

Traded! Alembic Europa 5
£3500
Bad Bentheim, Germany

Quasar79

For sale/trade this Alembic Europa 5. The serial number says it's a 'H' model, which stands for Elan, but the electronics are from the Europa model, so i think i can say it's an Europa model.

This Alembic has a maple body with quilted maple top, neckthrough constuction with ebony fingerboard, inlays, and a 7 piece maple with purpleheart stringers. Color is a difficult to capture Dragon Breath burst. In reality the color is more red.

The bass is in excellent condition and comes with a case which suits the shape of the bass perfectly. The string spacing is 16mm! Although i have big hands, i really like it. Weight: 4.9kg. Bass balances perfectly.

Europa electronics are: 3 knobs and 3 switches.

The knobs are: volume; pickup blend with center detent and Q-filter.

The switches are: bass cut/flat/boost; treble cut/flat/boost and the Q-filter on or off.

I've looked up some short explanation about this famous Q-filter from Alembic. This is from the Alembic Club:

Basically, the filter control is a low pass filter; as you roll it back it lowers the point at which it passes low frequency signals and blocks high frequency signals. To quote Mica, "the range is from 350Hz-6KHz. Wherever you set the filter, only frequencies below that cutoff point are passed." The Q switch works in concert with the filter and provides an 8db boost at the cut off frequency you've set with the filter. When the switch is off you get a flat response on to the filter setting. Again to quote Mica, "the Q affects mainly the attack portion of the note".

She is for sale or partial trade and only four strings. That is why i am selling. I think my price is fair, given the new price of Alembic basses ($12.400) and because of the almost new condition of the bass. But feel free to tell me otherwise:)

Pictures:

IMG-20210220-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210220-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20210220-WA0013.jpg

Edited by Quasar79
traded
  • Like 10

I love Elan basses, they are such an incredible sounding bass and my favourite long scale body shape for an alembic.
If I wasn't on a self imposed bass buying ban that would be giving my bank balance something to worry about. 
My willpower is stong so, all the best with the sale. 
The Elan basses are older than the Europa basses so the H in the serial number really confirms it as an Elan bass. 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1

Hi, thanks for the message. But with Alembic the model is determined by the electronics. You can have the body shape in whatever you want, and for example with Signature electronics, then the name of the model is a Signature model. If you put in Series electronics, the model is called a Series I or II model. This one has Europa electronics, therefore it's an Europa model.

There has been a lot of conversation about this issue on the alembic web site forum over the years and listings on Ebay etc that have been challenged and changed because they are incorrectly named models after a serial number check.  The serial number is the best guide to the model of alembic bass. If it has a U it is a Europa, if it has H it is an elan regardless of the electronics inside it. 

I have an Elan 4 bass with H in the serial number, like yours it also has the same electronics package as the Europa models.
Since there is an overlap when both models were produced and alembic being a custom shop someone could order an Elan with Europa electronics which is what my bass is classified as when I checked it with Alembic directly.

4wiw,I also have an Europa 5 string with an Elan style narrow neck and an Elan style headstock, all maple europa style body and signature electronics. This bass has the U in the serial number and this is classed as an Europa bass with Signature Electronics. 

Please don't mistake my comments for anything other than constructive. If someone is buying that bass it's best they understand what Alembic considers that bass to be since if you are listing also on ebay etc, incorrect/inaccurate listings are valid reasons for returning goods.

I genuinely wish you all the best with the sale.👍

The Serial number scheme can be checked here.
http://www.alembic.com/support/reference.html

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • ped locked this topic