Why become a member? ×

Badfinger

dmccombe7

Recently played a hit single by a band called Badfinger and came across this track called Maybe Tomorrow with Tom Evans on lead vocal.

What an amazing voice on this song

Incredible band, great songs but what a sad story about Pete Ham and Tom Evans.

Victims of shady management deals. Not good considering how talented the band were. Expected to be the next Beatles. Produced by McCartney and Harrison at one time i believe.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

There's a clip on youtube of George Harrison and Pete Ham playing "Here Comes The Sun". Also a biopic of the band on youtube. "Without You", a massive hit for Harry Nillson was written by Tom Evans and Pete Ham. Excellent writers and musicians. 

Throughout the 50's, 60's, 70's and no doubt up to the present day, many musicians have been ripped off by managers. The Moody Blues were left penniless when their management did a moonlight flit, Queen were having to share a house while their management drove around in Rolls Royces.

Edited by Bikenbass
To give credit to the composers

Makes you wonder how many great bands simply failed to make it a success because of managers creaming the profits and screwing things for them.

Maybe that's a title for a new topic. 

"Name a band that didn't have financial or fame success because of Poor or fraudulent Management"

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Makes you wonder how many great bands simply failed to make it a success because of managers creaming the profits and screwing things for them.

Maybe that's a title for a new topic. 

"Name a band that didn't have financial or fame success because of Poor or fraudulent Management"

Dave

Thank you for raising the topic. As Paul S said, a tragedy. So much talent, gone, just as they were finding their feet.

• Like 1

Badfinger were great. “Straight Up” is such a good album, with production work from George Harrison and Todd Rundgren. Just really well written songs, performed without too much 70s excess getting in the way. “No Dice” has some cracking tunes on it as well. Shame that their management and label bosses let them down.

Read a biography of them a few years back and it was so grim I was down for days afterwards. But I listened to them again more recently and the Apple albums are great.

• Like 2

I love Badfinger so much. It's very hard to listen to them without thinking of the tragedies they went through, making some already moving songs deeply emotional. There's a fragility to them.

Without meaning to criticise their musicianship,  Badfinger always felt like they were purely about the song, with little time for flash or ego. 

Considering what an absolute state the band was in, their album Wish You Were Here is a masterpiece.

• Like 2

They're viewed as demi-gods in the powerpop circles I sometimes frequent, but they're largely unknown or forgotten everywhere else. There weren't many better records released in the seventies that were better than "No Matter What."

• Like 2