Why become a member? ×

What is the highest BPM you can achieve?

TJ1

5 hours ago, Drax said:

If you had to pick one of your basses, which could you throw the furthest? 

I think I'd use my Streamer .. 

The one with the best aerodynamic properties, if it has canards to generate additional lift that would be an advantage.

unicorn1.thumb.jpg.32908ba36034c6a1d275a2dfa8eada93.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Still love me a bit of shred, but can't shred as fast as I could even a few years ago. I would sometimes use a legato technique, which strangely enough is not a technique I can do when I shred on guitar.

Sometimes I used a double-fingering technique - up and down stokes with the same finger - but I can't do double-thumbing yet.

7 hours ago, Doctor J said:

As a young Metaller I spent a lot of time getting three plucking fingers going as standard for the high tempos the music I loved required. Something like this is reasonably comfortable for me with three and I reckon it'd be a shortcut to RSI if you played this kind of speed consistently with two fingers.

The original by Joe Jackson with the overlooked and underestimated Graham Maby on bass is better sounding and played at a higher BPM. That said, I really like Anthrax cover too. But it's about time to give back the credit of this excellent tune to Joe Jackson.

Excerpt of Wikipedia concerning this title and pure Joe Jackson :

In the June 1991 issue of Q magazine, Jackson remarked : "I think it sounds kind of clumsy compared to the way we did it on the Live album. I mean, our version is really smoking. Theirs is actually slower than ours, and kind of lumpen. The way I feel about it is, Thanks for the royalties, guys." In another interview, he explained, "I could never quite understand why they were called a “speed metal” band because we played the song about twice as fast as they did."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Sometimes the guitar / bass riffs don't match the drums which can have higher BPM and vice versa.

yes, I think he's singing it at 140, not sure its possible to sing at 280 ,  the bass is 280 though, being a pick player I can just about manage it on a good night

edit, not saying a finger player couldn't do it btw

Edited by PaulWarning

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yes, I think he's singing it at 140, not sure its possible to sing at 280 ,  the bass is 280 though, being a pick player I can just about manage it on a good night

The bass isn't played at twice the bpm, it's just subdividing in to semiquavers.

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The original by Joe Jackson with the overlooked and underestimated Graham Maby on bass is better sounding and played at a higher BPM. That said, I really like Anthrax cover too. But it's about time to give back the credit of this excellent tune to Joe Jackson.

Excerpt of Wikipedia concerning this title and pure Joe Jackson :

In the June 1991 issue of Q magazine, Jackson remarked : "I think it sounds kind of clumsy compared to the way we did it on the Live album. I mean, our version is really smoking. Theirs is actually slower than ours, and kind of lumpen. The way I feel about it is, Thanks for the royalties, guys." In another interview, he explained, "I could never quite understand why they were called a “speed metal” band because we played the song about twice as fast as they did."

The original is excellent, of course, but faster it is not

Capeture.thumb.JPG.604d3db4330dd07c850b8de776b5341d.JPG

kCapeture.thumb.JPG.3d30730571ed463c7e281c61d23bd95f.JPG

Mötley Crüe - Live Wire (220 bpm)

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I googled ace of spades, it said 140, but I think it's twice as fast as that

AoS isn't really that fast IMHO, but I've become quite accustomed to playing it. It's my 'summon the salesman' riff if I'm serious about buying something.

Killed by Death is slightly slower, but a fair bit more difficult to play.

14 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Sorry you Brits but semiquaver is the stupidest name. Sounds like bowing up for The William Tell Overture.

Haha. Yeah they are strange if you've not grown up with them. Like the US 'cups' in recipes..  

Never known why there are two systems.. Brief explanation here https://www.hoffmanacademy.com/blog/whats-a-quaver-note-names/ 

Still don't understand the logic outside 4/4 though.. 

Edited by Drax