Why become a member? ×

Bloodstone wiring loom

KingPrawn

Evening chaps.

Have any of you had any dealings with this outfit? I like the look of this loom. Its for a P bass hence so 250K is ideal. Like the idea of Audio Taper  Pots. Can any one vouch for the Sprague " Orange drop" CAP?

thoughts please 

Incorporates:

• Matched* CTS USA Custom Audio Taper 250K Split Shaft Volume & Tone Potentiometers - smooth linear volume and tone change (no bunching or on/off effect)
  • 0.022uF Sprague "Orange Drop" Tone Capacitor** - removes the thinness and harshness inherent with budget capacitors
  • Quality Jack Socket
  • Bridge earth wire supplied with heatshrink tube to twist join with exiting earth, solder and insulate
  • Sad 1

The previous poster, KiOgon, is too humble to mention he makes some very good solderless looms.  They are recommended by many basschatters (including me).  There was a similar post just earlier today: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/446306-precision-bass-wiring-harness/

I think you'd want at least a 0.047 cap in a P bass.

I've not used Bloodstone, but the thing I wonder about is that it sounds like you need to solder your pickups to it.  But if you're comfortable soldering a wire to a pot, you're pretty much most of the way there to making your own loom anyway.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KiOgon said:

Custom Audio taper > smooth linear!?

.022uF cap has no place on a P bass!

What quality?  Switchcraft or not?

Twist and bodge!

Just my opinion like 🙄

Thanks for the input. I’ll take a look at your products. The part I think I’m overthinking is the relationship between the choice of pickup and the impact the cap will have on the tonal range. So if I buy for example some Delano PMVC 4 AL H. Pups. What cap&  pots etc will give me the best pairing. I guess I’m overthinking it. I usually do. 

11 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

Have any of you had any dealings with this outfit?

I've bought a few pickups from Dave. he's a top man.

Last pickup was an over-wound split single coil. Not a big deal except I wanted it wound to 29.9k ohm.

Dave was up to the challenge, run a few questions my way then he was all set. 4 days later I was installing the pickup.

11 hours ago, KiOgon said:

.022uF cap has no place on a P bass!

That's the cap value used on the Peavey Fury and Patriot (P-bass  clones) and folks rave about those. The G&L LB-100 also had a .022uf cap.