Why become a member? ×

Bass guitarist 'who lost everything' opens Bristol café

silverfoxnik

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

Great initiative, and I hate to be this person, but how long before someone starts shouting "discrimination"? 

Yep!

Some overly pious PC twerp is bound to come along claiming that a positive act (for once) of discrimination in favour of musicians - who still are and have been for centuries, completely discriminated against - is somehow a discriminatory act! 

The mind boggles (especially at my age!!).   🥴😬😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Yep!

Some overly pious PC twerp is bound to come along claiming that a positive act (for once) of discrimination in favour of musicians - who still are and have been for centuries, completely discriminated against - is somehow a discriminatory act! 

The mind boggles (especially at my age!!).   🥴😬😁

You can stop boggling. 

Musicianship isn’t a protected characteristic in law and thus choosing a musician over a non-musician would not be an act of unlawful discrimination. 

Stop trying to find offence where non exists. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jakester said:

If I may say, that’s a rather unnecessary statement to make.

The OP has posted a positive story and then commented that “it’s only a matter of time before someone comes along etc..”

Clearly not trying to find offence.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Deedee said:

If I may say, that’s a rather unnecessary statement to make.

The OP has posted a positive story and then commented that “it’s only a matter of time before someone comes along etc..”

Clearly not trying to find offence.

Thanks @Deedeefor the robust defence of my 'not trying to find offence'.. 😁 

As it happens @Jakester, I know what protected characteristics are having spent the last 17 years working with people with a wide range of them. 

Just to be clear, I was jokingly responding to @Maude 's earlier comment about how long before '.. someone comes along and starts shouting discrimination'.

But beyond that, I do think there's a serious point to be made here about musicians (and artists more broadly) having been treated very badly over the years on this country, not just now as a result of the fall-out from Brexit, impact of Covid:lockdowns etc, but way beyond that.

I can remember when, as a young professional musician in the 80s, it was nigh on impossible to get car insurance for all sorts of stupid reasons thrown up by the insurance companies.

And t wasn't until the Musicians Union fought quite a long battle for change that things started to improve, with General Accident eventually working with the MU to produce a specific car insurance policy for your average working muso. 

I was an MU Committee Member for about 3 years when I still lived in London and the number of cases we dealt with of musicians being ripped off and being treated like 2nd class citizens was unbelievable! 

Anyway, back on topic...

That's kind of the point being made by this lady who's set up this cafe in Bristol - as I see it, she's responded quite brilliantly IMHO to that same kind of disregard and lack of understanding/appreciation of what artists/musicians bring to this country. 

As the actor David Schneider said recently:

"Hard to believe that the government utterly screwed the £112bn creative industries for the sake of the £446m fishing industry. Which they also utterly screwed." 

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Jakester said:

You can stop boggling. 

Musicianship isn’t a protected characteristic in law and thus choosing a musician over a non-musician would not be an act of unlawful discrimination. 

That comes across a little aggressive but hey ho. Also, I don't think discrimination has to be a legal term, but maybe you're taking this far more seriously than me. 

As @silverfoxnik@silverfoxnik rightly points out it was me that made the comment about somebody possibly claiming discrimination, and as is usual with most things in life, it's not a black and white situation. I applaud the notion of setting up a business to give jobs to out of work musicians, but I can also see that you lived just around the corner, were out of work and had the perfect credentials and skills for the job, but were turned down because you weren't a musician you would feel discriminated against, it doesn't have to be proved in a court of law for it to be so. If I applied for a job I was the perfect candidate for but was refused because I'm not an actor I'd feel a bit miffed.

That said I wish them all the best and hope it works out. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Maude said:

Any 'jazz' mags to browse through while you're having a snack?

Taking a chance with that since cafes are "takeaway only" just now.

Have to say I'm perplexed by this .

" Bassist who lost everything, (partially) opens cafe while hospitality industry teeters on the brink of collapse."

For a bass player, the lass has terrible timing 🤣