Why become a member? ×

Special Walnut Fretless Jazz build

stereoplayer

I can only imagine how heavy your bass is. I bought a fretless Carvin LB76WP in Walnut and while the bass played a treat at the end of the evening I was knackered from it's weight. For a little  guy like me it was just too much. I recently gave it to a bass playing nephew along with a Carvin BX1500. He is delighted with both.

All that said the bass is beautiful and you should be proud. Never having played a fretless before I had Carvin install fret lines. The thought of that massive expanse of Ebony scared me. I hardly look at the neck any more when I play. LOL

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

I can only imagine how heavy your bass is. I bought a fretless Carvin LB76WP in Walnut and while the bass played a treat at the end of the evening I was knackered from it's weight. For a little  guy like me it was just too much. I recently gave it to a bass playing nephew along with a Carvin BX1500. He is delighted with both.

All that said the bass is beautiful and you should be proud. Never having played a fretless before I had Carvin install fret lines. The thought of that massive expanse of Ebony scared me. I hardly look at the neck any more when I play. LOL

IIRC, 10.5 LBS

Tolerable for me.

28 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Some bits of wood are heavy, some aren’t. Variation within a species is often as great as between species 🪵 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well, it’s been over 2 years and I’m doing a refinish.  I damaged the control area a while ago and I decided to “fix” it by routing the top to fit a tele type control plate.  
the refinish is going pretty good.  A few spots of finish left to remove completely. Then on to finish sanding.  Tru-oil will be used.

2ACFD53C-69A9-4037-AAA5-06E0E9C84310.jpeg

17AE5B04-AF96-4C6D-B93D-E7FC81D485AC.jpeg

• Like 4

I bought a Carvin LB76WP as a reward for living through my third stroke. The bass has six strings, a Piezo bridge and a Walnut body. I had EMG pickups installed. The result was a glorious bass that looked and played like a dream. The problem was that it was just too darned heavy to wear comfortably for set after set. Just recently I found out that my Nephew in Liverpool. is playing bass. On a visit to us here in Toronto I gave him the bass. He was blown away by it. 

With this in mind I caution our friendly neighbourhood @stereoplayer to consider how heavy the finished bass might be. 

While I'm at it I'd like to direct a comment to @Hellzero that my favourite bass is a Carvin LB76F. This is a lined fretless six string again fitted with EMGs and made of Koa. It's a dream to play. You can see it here on the first show I ever played it.: My white fretted six string can be see during the clip.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

I bought a Carvin LB76WP as a reward for living through my third stroke. The bass has six strings, a Piezo bridge and a Walnut body. I had EMG pickups installed. The result was a glorious bass that looked and played like a dream. The problem was that it was just too darned heavy to wear comfortably for set after set. Just recently I found out that my Nephew in Liverpool. is playing bass. On a visit to us here in Toronto I gave him the bass. He was blown away by it. 

With this in mind I caution our friendly neighbourhood @stereoplayer to consider how heavy the finished bass might be. 

While I'm at it I'd like to direct a comment to @Hellzero that my favourite bass is a Carvin LB76F. This is a lined fretless six string again fitted with EMGs and made of Koa. It's a dream to play. You can see it here on the first show I ever played it.: My white fretted six string can be see during the clip.

Yup, thanks.

We discussed this earlier in this thread.

Its about 10.5 lbs

Tolerable for me…especially since I sit while playing most of the time.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Lovely, good work 👍

Thank you.  I’m disappointed with the control plate route.  The just slipped a little when routing. 
I probably should make a custom control plate. I has been on my “list”.

But my recent build is playing and sounding very nice.  Even though there are very similar. I’ve been playing this more.

IMG_5304.jpeg

IMG_5302.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer

• 1 month later...