Why become a member? ×

Fernandes MIJ P/J Bass Vs Ibanez SR800 MIJ

DubDelay

The strings of your SR800 are on funny at the headstock end :lol:

Can't you keep them both? They're goint to be very different in every way. The SR has about the thinnest and fastest neck you can find, the Fernandes will be a fair bit wider at the nut and thicker along the entire length. The Fernandes will likely be a lot heavier. It's fully passive, so will sound different and the controls are much simpler (2x volume, 1x tone?). I would definitely try first, or keep the SR around until you're sure the Fernandes suits you better if you have to pick just one. 

1 minute ago, LeftyJ said:

The strings of your SR800 are on funny at the headstock end :lol:

Can't you keep them both? They're goint to be very different in every way. The SR has about the thinnest and fastest neck you can find, the Fernandes will be a fair bit wider at the nut and thicker along the entire length. The Fernandes will likely be a lot heavier. It's fully passive, so will sound different and the controls are much simpler (2x volume, 1x tone?). I would definitely try first, or keep the SR around until you're sure the Fernandes suits you better if you have to pick just one. 

The wife would kill me if I got more gear this month or I would go for both.

I sorted the strings out on the SR after getting it, the guy had it in storage since forever. 

Maybe the guy will swap it for my daughter's Peppa Pig Uke, she has her eye on a Simpsons drum kit :)

Howzabout trying a different type of string to keep the SR love alive? Rounds to Flats, Nickel to Stainless?

@Old Man Riva kindly sent me some Roto Sound Compression Wounds that were not to his liking...

Gave my SR600 a more moody and grown up tone compared to the teenage shout of the round wounds... never tried flats but imagine the compresssions a sort of half way house?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Howzabout trying a different type of string to keep the SR love alive? Rounds to Flats, Nickel to Stainless?

@Old Man Riva kindly sent me some Roto Sound Compression Wounds that were not to his liking...

Gave my SR600 a more moody and grown up tone compared to the teenage shout of the round wounds... never tried flats but imagine the compresssions a sort of half way house?

Just got some flat rounds for the first time today. They'll be going on tonight. Lighter gauge so might take the weekend for the truss rod to settle I guess. My mate kept saying they're the way to go. Will update on the difference. I can see they will be less squeaky for sure though.

3 hours ago, DubDelay said:

Fernandes MIJ P/J Bass Vs Ibanez SR800 MIJ

A nice old passive Fernandes P bass just came onto the radar. Would you swap a 1993 Sr800 for a Fernandes P, and why?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 14.32.36.png

Ahh, I had my eye on that one for a long time, happy to see it's not on Adverts anymore 😂

The SR800 is a classic design, to me. They're superbly comfortable, sonically versatile and, usually, very light. Give it time and get to know it.

4 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Ahh, I had my eye on that one for a long time, happy to see it's not on Adverts anymore 😂

The SR800 is a classic design, to me. They're superbly comfortable, sonically versatile and, usually, very light. Give it time and get to know it.

I'm glad you didn't buy it, couldn't get over with lockdown and was sure someone would outbid me. Bit of a bargain in the end.