Why become a member? ×

Most important thing to learn about mixing

51m0n

Damn it, this guy is giving all the good stuff away!

I'm not sure whether to be thrilled at the detail and brilliant information, or a little peeved. I've spent years working like this, it is the one true way.

If you want your mixes to continue to suck ignore all his advice.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

The only issue I've found with referencing mixes in mono is that you can overdo the separation in the EQ a little bit and end up with your instruments not meshing together and blending to form the overall mix.

Frequency masking is a problem, but EQ isn't the only way to deal with it, panning works well, which you can't do in a mono mix obvs..!

I prefer mixes to be dense and integrated, and I'll sacrifice a bit of separation to get that integration if I have to particularly in the low mid area.

Some good advice though, and great delivery.

23 hours ago, WinterMute said:

The only issue I've found with referencing mixes in mono is that you can overdo the separation in the EQ a little bit and end up with your instruments not meshing together and blending to form the overall mix.

Frequency masking is a problem, but EQ isn't the only way to deal with it, panning works well, which you can't do in a mono mix obvs..!

I prefer mixes to be dense and integrated, and I'll sacrifice a bit of separation to get that integration if I have to particularly in the low mid area.

Some good advice though, and great delivery.

The whole point of this video is that panning doesnt solve the problem well.

In fact panning stops you being able to hear the problem properly at all in some cases. The issue still exists though.

A very well constructed mix done this way won't fall apart when you spread it out IME. But the clarity you get is really cool.

Each to their own though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 51m0n said:

The whole point of this video is that panning doesnt solve the problem well.

In fact panning stops you being able to hear the problem properly at all in some cases. The issue still exists though.

A very well constructed mix done this way won't fall apart when you spread it out IME. But the clarity you get is really cool.

Each to their own though!

Most engineers I've known work in mono and stereo all the way through the mix process, some more than others, John Leckie does a lot of stuff in mono for instance. I switch between the two modes as and when required, it's a tool or technique to solve specific problems just like EQ or compression, but the idea of staying in mono for most of the mix process doesn't appeal. As you say each to their own.

• Like 1