Jump to content
51m0n

Most important thing to learn about mixing

Recommended Posts

Damn it, this guy is giving all the good stuff away!

I'm not sure whether to be thrilled at the detail and brilliant information, or a little peeved. I've spent years working like this, it is the one true way.

If you want your mixes to continue to suck ignore all his advice.

Enjoy!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 51m0n said:

Damn it, this guy is giving all the good stuff away!...

The bloke really knows what he's talking about. Great Stuff. :sun_bespectacled:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this carries on you'll all be ace mixologists!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

If this carries on you'll all be ace mixologists!

Don't they collect mushrooms or something..? :scratch_one-s_head:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stumbled upon this chap's youtube stuff last week.  Never saw this one though.  Cheers.  :drinks:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only issue I've found with referencing mixes in mono is that you can overdo the separation in the EQ a little bit and end up with your instruments not meshing together and blending to form the overall mix.

Frequency masking is a problem, but EQ isn't the only way to deal with it, panning works well, which you can't do in a mono mix obvs..!

I prefer mixes to be dense and integrated, and I'll sacrifice a bit of separation to get that integration if I have to particularly in the low mid area.

Some good advice though, and great delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WinterMute said:

The only issue I've found with referencing mixes in mono is that you can overdo the separation in the EQ a little bit and end up with your instruments not meshing together and blending to form the overall mix.

Frequency masking is a problem, but EQ isn't the only way to deal with it, panning works well, which you can't do in a mono mix obvs..!

I prefer mixes to be dense and integrated, and I'll sacrifice a bit of separation to get that integration if I have to particularly in the low mid area.

Some good advice though, and great delivery.

The whole point of this video is that panning doesnt solve the problem well.

In fact panning stops you being able to hear the problem properly at all in some cases. The issue still exists though.

A very well constructed mix done this way won't fall apart when you spread it out IME. But the clarity you get is really cool.

Each to their own though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 51m0n said:

The whole point of this video is that panning doesnt solve the problem well.

In fact panning stops you being able to hear the problem properly at all in some cases. The issue still exists though.

A very well constructed mix done this way won't fall apart when you spread it out IME. But the clarity you get is really cool.

Each to their own though!

Most engineers I've known work in mono and stereo all the way through the mix process, some more than others, John Leckie does a lot of stuff in mono for instance. I switch between the two modes as and when required, it's a tool or technique to solve specific problems just like EQ or compression, but the idea of staying in mono for most of the mix process doesn't appeal. As you say each to their own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...