Why become a member? ×

NAD - Traynor & Ampeg

bigjimmyc

Let me first say that I had too much gear already. However, just look at this rig!

I had an SVT years ago and we didn’t get on. But my valve thing wasn’t quite done, so when this came up locally I couldn’t ignore it. Top bloke did me a great deal. 

Honestly I’ve hardly tried it out yet but the tone is unreal. Gonna have to re-evaluate the other stuff now. 

FCDD2955-713F-4089-B0F8-219658A46E9E.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Joebethell said:

Wonder if this is my old head stupidly sold on a YB200 a couple of years ago. 

Amazing amps  

No, I believe the fellow I got it from had it since new. I think I got a bargain here.

Edited by bigjimmyc
Fatfinger

37 minutes ago, bigjimmyc said:

No, It believe the fellow I got it from had it since new. I think I got a bargain here.

Definitely they are great heads and not very well known surprisingly light for the size of the head as well. 

Should have kept mine but lack of gigging and other issues left me having to sell along with the barefaced 4x10 I used with it. 

Still got my ashdown LB and zilla 2x12 but would love a larger valve head again. 

• Like 1

So, having had a few more days with my new rig, here’s the update. 

For calibration, my main rig is an Orange OB1-500 into Barefaced four10. 

Obviously,  a slightly old-school all valve amp sits well with an old-school heavy sealed 4x10 cab. The tone is amazingly deep. Almost like you’re hearing the fundamental frequency much more than the harmonics. But it’s more than just that. I feels like a much fuller rounder sound than I’m used to. I want to say headroom or heft. No better words. 

Power is abundant. My neighbours hate me. I’ve no idea if it’s remotely versatile - I’ve not even fiddled with the eq, gain or shape. All my basses sound better than before. 

Eventually I did try the head with my BF cab. The effect isn’t the same, although I know I could crank it right up if needed.  Nor does my Orange head work as well with the Ampeg cab. So the simplistic conclusion is that the head and cab suit each other. 

By sheer luck they also pair well with the GK cab I picked up recently too (thanks @stewblack for the cable). Sits perfectly on top to create a magnificent stack. Weighs the same as the moon though. 

I doubt I’ll be rolling this out for pub gigs (41 kilo cab, 20 kilo head) instead of the Barefaced cab which is overkill anyway. But any outdoor gigs? This rig will slay. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I first arrived in Toronto I thought Pete Traynor's amps were aimed at beginners as in Trainer.! LOL The Yorkville plant is just up Kingston Road from my house. They make good reliable equipment. :)

When the Pandemic is done with I'm hoping to get a tour of the plant.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 18:31, BassmanPaul said:

When I first arrived in Toronto I thought Pete Traynor's amps were aimed at beginners as in Trainer.! LOL The Yorkville plant is just up Kingston Road from my house. They make good reliable equipment. :)

When the Pandemic is done with I'm hoping to get a tour of the plant.

That's really cool. I stayed at UTSC thirty years ago on a hockey tour. Sweet memories! Double cool for me as I was born in Scarborough, North Yorkshire (England).

PS. If you do get to do the tour, please could you grab me a set of shiny corners?!

Edited by bigjimmyc
afterthought

On 19/02/2021 at 05:09, bigjimmyc said:

Let me first say that I had too much gear already. However, just look at this rig!

I had an SVT years ago and we didn’t get on. But my valve thing wasn’t quite done, so when this came up locally I couldn’t ignore it. Top bloke did me a great deal. 

Honestly I’ve hardly tried it out yet but the tone is unreal. Gonna have to re-evaluate the other stuff now. 

FCDD2955-713F-4089-B0F8-219658A46E9E.jpeg

Those YBA heads are great value. Cheap as chips here in Canada! 

• Like 1