Why become a member? ×

GK Fusion 550 opinions

la bam

Played one a few times, not at war volume though, it was going through one of the GK Goldline 4x10's.

Was using a P Bass with rounds on and it sounded epic, a real nice fat bottom end with a bit of fur and that GK top end zing. I was really impressed, but saying that a friend uses one with a GK 2x12 and we were on the same bill one night, using our own gear, we sound checked with ease, they took a long time to get there. The band were complaining of some weird bass sounds on stage. The amp was new to him at the time, and he wasn't using any extreme EQ. Might just of been that cab.

Much as I'm a big fan of GK gear, I use mainly a 700rbii and Neo 212 and I'm very happy with that setup, I've no experience of the Fusion 550 so I'll get that crucial point out of the way! I've long since gone off valves and I'm drawn to their solid state character but that's just me.

I don't doubt that the Fusion 550 is a great amp, my concern would be over the sophistication of the (I think?) servo driven automation on the pots and the extent to which an amp that may now be out of production will be supported technically in the UK, you are heavily reliant on the distributors Polar Audio and I've had mixed experiences with them in the past. An obvious scenario would be the pre amp goes wrong, you're advised to get a whole new board- probably easy-ish to get in the US, but I can imagine it would be a real struggle over here. The amp would I guess be modular; pre board, power board and a torroidal transformer if it's like the RBs I have, the power amp may be the same as a 700RB I'd guess in a 550.

I'm fundamentally happy with the gear I use so I've tried to drop on semi-broken amps to cannibalise (with the help of a local tech), I have an ebay £60 700rb with a good power amp transformer and preamp board and a £100  Backline 600 (my gig back up amp) that could be transplanted to an extent into my 400 rb iv. It's just parts I can keep in the garage that would be cheaper than getting something obtained from across the Atlantic with difficulty.

Just my way of future proofing my gear fairly cheaply. Hope my post helps, more of an insight into the fact that with GK I'd personally either buy brand new production models or popular items second hand that are fairly commonplace, all due to the fact that distribution isn't the best in the UK.

Thanks. I've got the fusion 550 now, came today.

Sounds flippin loud and authoritative!!

Theres plenty of concern out there about the motorised dials (and I probably agree) but pretty much zero cases of them failing.

I have a mb800 in reserve just in case.

The tone shaping is pretty great on this already!

• Like 4

Only used at very very quiet volumes, but early impressions:

1. Its superbly well built. No cutting corners on any material etc.

2. The motorised dials, just feel like ordinary ones youd find on any amp, and work great. It's a great thing to watch them revert back to the last settings.

3. The array of sounds is brilliant. It really is supremely versatile.l, with a fair bit of experimentation. The really beauty is the contour dial and contour frequency switch which when used in conjunction with each other help change the voicing of the amps natural characteristics, a great touch. The deep switch adds lovely real low end and high switch a nice brightness.

4. Power delivery is frankly astonishing. Real hit you in the guts stuff. I've never had this on any other amp, but I have the volume dial only just on, the gain only just on and the actual bass volume only just on. If I then turn any of them up a smidge I can 'feel' the bass and the moving air.

Cant wait to give this a run out at volume soon!

• Like 3

I got chance to open this up this afternoon.

Firstly, it very very very loud!! Very loud. I didn't get anywhere near half volume.

Now, what I really liked was the difference between the tone at volume. Immediately the valve response is there anywhere over 9oclock. What's great though, is if you dont want the valve response, you can just turn the gain down to 9 o'clock or under, turn the volume up and it's super clean.

This amp really is musical. The strings pretty much sing, rather than just give off bass notes. It's very valve like in tone. I dont mean dirty tones, but that lovely bright warm sound. It's also very fast. I know it sounds daft, but it's super instant response which takes some getting used to.

I had a good 3 hours play with this, both on it's own and with backing tracks, and its lovely. Really warm and musical.

Theres also limitless tone shaping possibilities. From solid slap funk, to warm 60s tones and everything inbetween. Even full on drive.

The power delivery is solid and authoritative. 

The big thing I can say about this amp is that every amp ive ever had, every one, made me sound the same. Quite dullish and warm. I could never ever get any warm bright mids in no matter what. Well, this amp gives that in heaps. Loads of it.

The fact its 2 channel as well, means I've set up a great sound and can have it with the tone uber clean and punchy, then with the valves breaking up on the other channel.

Great day testing this.

• Like 4

I think the immediacy of the sound is what I like about GK gear, the speed of the sound is what I like, not that I particularly play fast! It's what got me back into playing fingerstyle which to some extent I'd lost confidence with, it gives me a sound that helps me to play better somehow.  Anyway I don't question it much, other than a blip where I switched to an Ashdown ABM (briefly) I'm 10 years into using GK and 6 years on the same 700rbii.

Glad you like the amp anyway after all my doom mongering, shows how much I know!

10 hours ago, la bam said:

Its 3U high, but it feels good at that height, doesnt feel as if it should be smaller.

It also balances out, as gk do 1u amps too, so you still get 2 amps in a 4u case.

Ideal, have main and backup amp in same case.

I recently went back to a heavier, old 3u amp, in the shape of a EBS TD650. I was adamant that’s what I was getting and didn’t look at anything else....but....if one of these had come up in the same price bracket as the EBS, then I think I would’ve struggled to make a decision. These Fusion 550’s are cracking amps