Why become a member? ×

Do we have a new 'Sex On Fire'?

Maude

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

But there’s something about the production of it that doesn’t match the lyrics - I don’t know how to explain it - also having looked up the lyrics I think the Trite illustration of the content of the video massively makes the lyrics seem trite. Listened to without the video it’s a lot better. 

but it’s the best video featuring children’s TV set since that Radiohead one (also a comment on the state of the world) - I’m guess thst one doesn’t get played by many wedding bands though?

Absolutely, the video detracts from the song in a very big way

30 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:but it’s the best video featuring children’s TV set since that Radiohead one (also a comment on the state of the world) - I’m guess thst one doesn’t get played by many wedding bands though?

Such a great video. 
Hugh Pugh Barney Magrew 

• Like 1

I don't know why pop comes in for a drubbing from older peeps for being formulaic when most modern rock bands all stick rigidly to a blueprint. I'm no great fan of classic rock but at least Queen, Led Zep, the Stones and Sabbath had a recognisable sound. IMO pop's in quite a healthy state with acts like Dua Lipa, The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Drake and Rag n Bone Man. I don't think this track is as good Human but IMO it's alright. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I can't helping thinking what he'll look like in 40 years time in his Farrah Slacks and Pringle sweater putting his golf clubs in to his Volvo. I'm all for tattoos, but, well...

Are they tattoos or erasable ink ?  If they're tatts, then yup,  i'm afraid he looks like a right knubhead right now, let alone when he's pushing a trolley in the aisles of Asda in 40 years

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

I don't know why he's gone in this direction. The song sounds like it came from the second Mumford and Sons album and not at all what he's really known for. It's an inoffensive, radio friendly sort of song. I'm not sure it'll be a 'pub covers classic' so to speak.

19 hours ago, fleabag said:

Are they tattoos or erasable ink ?  If they're tatts, then yup,  i'm afraid he looks like a right knubhead right now, let alone when he's pushing a trolley in the aisles of Asda in 40 years

I'd imagine song writing credits on this and Human will keep him well enough watered and fed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

As an aside, has anyone else noticed how Sex On Fire and Dakota are essentially the same song to play on bass?

Not exactly the same, but close enough that if you did a mid-gig Quantum Leap from one to the other you’d probably be fine...

It's got to be worth swapping them if you play them both just for your own entertainment. I'm always doing this in one of my bands to see how far off song I can go but it still work. My favourite is playing the lead synth riff of 'Push It' by Salt'n'Pepa in the chorus of 'Ever Fallen In Love' by The Buzzcocks, it actually fit really well and is fun when people noticed. Oh yeah it's on doublebass too. 😄

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

@Maude I used to play Another Brick in the Wall with an old band. When the drum intro starts (as I’m hastily dropping my E to D onstage) I was frequently very tempted to start playing Staying Alive instead. It would have fitted perfectly and done everyone’s heads in. 

Yeah that would work perfectly 😄

On 19/02/2021 at 13:28, fleabag said:

With the money he's earning I doubt he'll be shopping in ASDA..................

On 18/02/2021 at 17:35, Maude said:

I've just heard the new song by 'Rag'n'bone Man' and it might just be the new 'Sex On Fire', well it might have been if anyone was gigging. 

We do/did 'Human' by him in our acoustic band which always goes down well and this sounds like it would be a crowd pleaser in a rock covers band. 

It's a bit more Dakota than Sex on Fire for Me. By that I mean people will roar along and bounce around for the chorus, but Sex on Fire is naughty because hehe SEX! And that's half of its appeal. This song is like the b@stard child of Sex on Fire and Dakota. 

I'm not really up on new music. But this could easily be George Ezra for me, similar sound to it. We have to do two George Ezra songs in my band. That bl00dy Shotgun song is awful, and people actually bought it?! If it didn't have fretless bass in it I'd probably veto it very strongly. 

Can't wait for my drummer to suggest this song... Where's the throwing up emoji? 

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2021 at 08:48, bassbiscuits said:

As an aside, has anyone else noticed how Sex On Fire and Dakota are essentially the same song to play on bass?

Not exactly the same, but close enough that if you did a mid-gig Quantum Leap from one to the other you’d probably be fine...

I wrote my comment before reading all the thread!!! Those two songs are pub band standards aren't they? Luckily one of my guitarists hasn't had time to learn Dakota yet. 

Why don't some band members get it? 

Me: "But EVERYONE plays it!" 

Drummer: "Exactly."

Me: "But our songs that go down best are the ones nobody else plays but they're still recognised classics..." 

Drummer: "Nobody has heard of that 'Robert Palmer' you want to do..." 

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2021 at 22:47, lurksalot said:

I thought it was George Ezra when I heard it on the wireless !

It so easily could be. Interchangeable heads... Who was the woman who allegedly sang every girl band song in the 90s and does she have a 2020's male equivalent at work here?! 

• Like 1