Why become a member? ×

Do we have a new 'Sex On Fire'?

Maude

I've just heard the new song by 'Rag'n'bone Man' and it might just be the new 'Sex On Fire', well it might have been if anyone was gigging. 

We do/did 'Human' by him in our acoustic band which always goes down well and this sounds like it would be a crowd pleaser in a rock covers band. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

God, tunes are more formulaic than ever these days. This could have been released ten years ago.

I assume that's tongue in cheek WoT, that could have been released any time in the last 40 years really (in fact it reminded me of band I played with in early 80's who at the time were trying to emulate Icicle Works/Julian Cope kinda vibe, not very successfully I might add). Not a bad song, not a good song, I think a rare example of a song that flatters the video as opposed to the correct way around :) 

• Like 1

The bassist on this is a member here...

It’s not the song I expected from Rag but I kinda like it! Expecting some cool things from the album. Always keen to support, he really fights for live music!

Edited by knicknack
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I can see where @Maude is coming from, a fairly easy song to translate to weekend warriors, with a pretty good singalong chorus. 

Exactly. I'm no fan of this song, but if I was in a band that played all the usual suspects, which is what most pub goers want, then I'd be adding it to the set. 

It really does sound like Rag'n'Bone Man singing along to Kings Of Leon though I think. 

As to whether this latest direction is an improvement, I don't know. But if it's going to be a big seller/streamer/sing a long at festivals, which it probably will be then I can't say I wouldn't do the same, given the chance. 

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

It wasn’t, actually. I find the last 10/15 years or so have been pretty slow.

Lady M and I had this discussion with the other day after watching a program on the 80s. 

In terms of general popular music, each decade from 50s to 90s had massive changes from one end to the other, then from 2000 onwards things have just run out of steam. There's stuff going on if you hunt for it but I'm talking about the run of the mill stuff, and I do hate saying it because it just makes me an old fart longing for the past but I don't feel that's how I am. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I've just heard the new song by 'Rag'n'bone Man' and it might just be the new 'Sex On Fire', well it might have been if anyone was gigging. 

We do/did 'Human' by him in our acoustic band which always goes down well and this sounds like it would be a crowd pleaser in a rock covers band. 

First time I heard this I thought it might be Kings of Leon.

26 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I think it depends which genres you’re listening to. In this pop rock pseudo indie space, hell yes, it’s a generic 40 year old sound. Not sure ‘slow’ is true of all genres at present 

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I think it depends which genres you’re listening to. In this pop rock pseudo indie space, hell yes, it’s a generic 40 year old sound. Not sure ‘slow’ is true of all genres at present 

I’m taking about the ‘Wedding Set’ scene, really. Thankfully I only have half a toe in it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I reckon it's inevitable as we get older that we find less and less in the three minute pop song to excite us because, as the cliche goes, we've heard it all before. There'll be the odd one or two that hark back to a personal favourite or we find toe-tappingly irresistible but despite the various pop genres involved it can get predictably formulaic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, upside downer said:

I reckon it's inevitable as we get older that we find less and less in the three minute pop song to excite us because, as the cliche goes, we've heard it all before. There'll be the odd one or two that hark back to a personal favourite or we find toe-tappingly irresistible but despite the various pop genres involved it can get predictably formulaic.

It’s why I use the the search algorithms on Apple Music and the like, I come across stuff that often surprises and pleases me, some of it by people I’ve heard of but assumed I wouldn’t like. My daughters keep me on my toes as well :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maude said:

Good shout @Maude!

I like it - always a good thing when someone's actually got something to say about the state of the world they see around them.. I like those 80s chorus/Eventide Harmonizer guitar chords too.. 

The video's kind of interesting... it's kind of a Burl Ives/Thomas The Tank Engine/SIMs mash-up... 😁

37 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Good shout @Maude!

I like it - always a good thing when someone's actually got something to say about the state of the world they see around them.. I like those 80s chorus/Eventide Harmonizer guitar chords too.. 

The video's kind of interesting... it's kind of a Burl Ives/Thomas The Tank Engine/SIMs mash-up... 😁

But there’s something about the production of it that doesn’t match the lyrics - I don’t know how to explain it - also having looked up the lyrics I think the Trite illustration of the content of the video massively makes the lyrics seem trite. Listened to without the video it’s a lot better. 

but it’s the best video featuring children’s TV set since that Radiohead one (also a comment on the state of the world) - I’m guess thst one doesn’t get played by many wedding bands though?

• Like 1