Why become a member? ×

No Substitute For Live Gigs

Happy Jack

It's now coming up FIVE months since we played our last gig and boy are we missing it.

As The Final Lockdown grinds relentlessly onward, the Junkyard Dogs thought it might be time to (a) make a comment on the situation, and (b) remind ourselves of what 2020 was really like for a gigging band.

So here we are, socially distanced and civically responsible, scattered across London, Middlesex and Berkshire, green-screened to Hell and back, and telling you that there is No Substitute For Live Gigs.

(ps: If the music doesn't grab you, focus on the drummer's Lockdown hairstyle instead.)

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Do you hang your bass off the horn only? I have never seen that before. Please tell me why in detail!

It took me a second to work out what you meant!

That Rick is one of the few >10lb basses I own, so I prefer to use a twin-shoulder strap design. What you can see there are the two straps coming down from my shoulders to the upper horn, what's not in sight is the other end of the strap passing down my back and attaching to the rear end of the bass in the usual fashion.

I get my straps from a really helpful bunch of people in Brazil: https://www.facebook.com/Evostraps

Absolutely. No substitute for playing live, whether at a gig or just rehearsing/playing together and being able to see the whites of each others eyes. My bands have been having online get-togethers. |It's better than nowt, but a pale imitation of the real thing.

9 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

It took me a second to work out what you meant!

That Rick is one of the few >10lb basses I own, so I prefer to use a twin-shoulder strap design. What you can see there are the two straps coming down from my shoulders to the upper horn, what's not in sight is the other end of the strap passing down my back and attaching to the rear end of the bass in the usual fashion.

I get my straps from a really helpful bunch of people in Brazil: https://www.facebook.com/Evostraps

Any chance of a pic with the strap laid out, please, HJ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Any chance of a pic with the strap laid out, please, HJ?

449044517_Strap(1).thumb.jpg.7ba72dc481c208ba8d0428c4f92530f7.jpg

So that's on the bass but without me in the way.

631435389_Strap(2).thumb.jpg.0222299bb78b9a4e111a6f8526ff3a6c.jpg

This shows the attachment at the horn, plus the fittings for the secondary strap (which is removable should you want to use the main part as a standard strap). The buckle at the front is obvious, rather less so is that the black button at the back is the 'wrong' side of a screw rivet.

1829847431_Strap(4).thumb.jpg.e418879f4095c8dcb3c72ab8153aa0c6.jpg

The view from below with the screw rivet far more obvious.

766843083_Strap(5).thumb.jpg.566106d3eddf774b10a580d1bc7cf190.jpg

Strap (3).jpg

12 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I tried the Gruv Gear Duo but it seems to only work for the "right" body shape, which I clearly didn't have! Dunno if you have tried the Gruv Gear Duo previously and can comment on how the Evostrap compares in terms of comfort and flexibility in comparison? I'm guessing it's great by the fact you're using it!

Maybe worth posting in here also - as I suspect I won't the only one interested in a comfortable duo strap.

What's the best strap? - Accessories and Misc - Basschat

I have a Gruv Gear Duo too ... it was on the Rick but I really didn't get on with it. 

The 'loop over the horn' system for the secondary strap is clumsy in operation and feels insecure, and the way the two straps work together creates a scissors effect on my neck.

The Evostrap system is WAY better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

I have a Gruv Gear Duo too ... it was on the Rick but I really didn't get on with it. 

The 'loop over the horn' system for the secondary strap is clumsy in operation and feels insecure, and the way the two straps work together creates a scissors effect on my neck.

I did mine the other way with a recessed Dunlop straplock fixed into the back of the body which alleviated the garrote effect...

Bass was still to bloody heavy though.  Now moved on :( 

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/02/2021 at 10:42, Happy Jack said:

I use the Duo on my Wal & G&L fretless and got a couple of the straps that go between strap pins across the back of the bass to loop the second strap around rather than the top horn. They're supposed to be for using with single cut basses, but I didn't want to be messing up the finish on the top horn of the basses so added the back strap instead - if you go for that get the more expensive leather version, not the nylon one ( I found that not sturdy enough compared to the leather one)

IMG_0268.jpg

Edited by WalMan

On 21/02/2021 at 10:11, Happy Jack said:

449044517_Strap(1).thumb.jpg.7ba72dc481c208ba8d0428c4f92530f7.jpg

So that's on the bass but without me in the way.

631435389_Strap(2).thumb.jpg.0222299bb78b9a4e111a6f8526ff3a6c.jpg

This shows the attachment at the horn, plus the fittings for the secondary strap (which is removable should you want to use the main part as a standard strap). The buckle at the front is obvious, rather less so is that the black button at the back is the 'wrong' side of a screw rivet.

1829847431_Strap(4).thumb.jpg.e418879f4095c8dcb3c72ab8153aa0c6.jpg

The view from below with the screw rivet far more obvious.

766843083_Strap(5).thumb.jpg.566106d3eddf774b10a580d1bc7cf190.jpg

Strap (3).jpg

There are special clubs people visit wearing that kind of stuff😀

Edited by steantval
  • Haha 1