Why become a member? ×

Songs where bits seem tagged on for the hell of it

Barking Spiders

35 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Somebody must have mentioned this 1970s "classic" which seemed to drone on for most of my teenage years - "Music was my first love" - John Miles.

Just hope it doesn't become today's earworm...

bloody hate that song with a passion, thanks for reminding me of it 😡 what a load of pretentious rubbish YMMV

• Like 3

The whole of Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day.  It's about 8 different songs - all of which are pretty good.  Fantastic song to play along to, but the full version is a bit of a workout.

The beginning of Bang Bang You're Dead by Dirty Pretty Things just doesn't make any sense.

Here Comes your Man by Pixies seems to me to have a verse that is completely unrelated musically to the chorus.

22 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Noooo! That's the best bit (especially the last four words).

Way back when, Mr Blue Sky was used at Coventry City home games (Highfield Road era) to get the crowd going as the players came onto the pitch.

At about 2.55 the pumping cello drone would begin and the song would blast off, ending with the afterthought choral piece at the end, and into kick off.

Before all this I used to quite like the song, nowadays whenever I hear it I’m filled with a sense of foreboding, anxiety, and the feeling of impending crushing defeat.

I’m sure it’s not what Jeff Lynne had in mind when he was ripping off Sparky’s Magic Piano all those years ago!

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, petebassist said:

I've never understood why they tacked the Top Gear theme music onto the end of the chain !! Ruined the song for me...

I think you'll find that was the theme for Grand Prix coverage on the BBC ... cue Murray Walker ... "and the news from Imola is that the plucky three times World Champion is OUT!"

• Haha 2

As a prog fan, I'm shrugging my shoulders at most of these.

A couple of interesting successes though...

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police: The first two minutes is the tune - the remaining two minutes is basically an unrelated play-out. Having said that, none if it is flab, it's all great.

Catherine Wheels by Crowded House: The second half is an unrelated jam, and it's all absolutely beautiful.

• Like 1

Anthem of the Sun, Grateful Dead ...

...Jerry [Garcia] and Phil [Lesh] went into the studio with [Dan] Healy and, like mad scientists, they started splicing all the versions together, creating hybrids that contained the studio tracks and various live parts, stitched together from different shows, all in the same song — one rendition would dissolve into another and sometimes they were even stacked on top of each other... It was easily our most experimental record, it was groundbreaking in its time, and it remains a psychedelic listening experience to this day.

Edited by Dad3353

5 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

As a prog fan, I'm shrugging my shoulders at most of these.

A couple of interesting successes though...

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police: The first two minutes is the tune - the remaining two minutes is basically an unrelated play-out. Having said that, none if it is flab, it's all great.

Catherine Wheels by Crowded House: The second half is an unrelated jam, and it's all absolutely beautiful.

Together Alone is something of a unsung album IMHO. Woodface gets all the plaudits but it’s a much deeper, darker album. There’s some fantastic bass lines on there two - A real lesson in making a melodic line that not just fits the song but stands on its own and lifts it.

On 18/02/2021 at 15:31, Muzz said:

Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out starts out as a completely different song that just runs out of steam...

I heard the band tell the story behind that arrangement.

Seems that they had two ideas and put them together to make a song. So far so good.

Then they found that the two pieces didn't fit so well as they thought, as the parts each had a different feel and natural tempo.  So they 'de-fragged' the song and put all the verses at the start and all the choruses at the end.

I really like the song, but do wonder why they didn't simply develop the ideas into two different songs!

On 19/02/2021 at 16:03, PaulWarning said:

bloody hate that song with a passion, thanks for reminding me of it 😡 what a load of pretentious rubbish YMMV

The height of pretentiousness in music IMO due not only to the toe-curlingly embarrassing lyric but the bombastic orchestral arrangement.  

• Like 1

The only one that really bugs me is Springsteen's Thunder Road.... an immaculate, evocative tune (IMO, obvs).... Then, in lieu of the beautiful resolution it calls for, they just tag any old crap on the end and repeat to fade.

On 20/02/2021 at 10:09, Old Man Riva said:

Way back when, Mr Blue Sky was used at Coventry City home games (Highfield Road era) to get the crowd going as the players came onto the pitch.

At about 2.55 the pumping cello drone would begin and the song would blast off, ending with the afterthought choral piece at the end, and into kick off.

Before all this I used to quite like the song, nowadays whenever I hear it I’m filled with a sense of foreboding, anxiety, and the feeling of impending crushing defeat.

Mr Blue Sky ends with the words "Please, turn me over" - maybe that's the wrong message for Coventry City to be sharing with the visiting opposition! 

• Haha 1

I was always bewildered by the slap bass solo in the middle of Paul Simon's Call Me Al.  

My vote goes to the already-mentioned industrial drum-and-bass section in the middle of An Englishman in New York. 

As a child, I remember thinking that I really liked Mr Blue Sky, but got annoyed that the DJs always played a silly choir song afterwards - they did not even wait for the ELO song to finish!  

30 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I. . . . . .  got annoyed that the DJs always played a silly choir song afterwards - they did not even wait for the ELO song to finish!  

DJ's never did respect the music. It was a necessary evil which always got in the way of their stunning and clever performance!!

1 minute ago, steve_p said:

Fleetwood Mac again. What's with the Spanish bit at the end of Oh Well?

I bought this on a 7” single when it came out. Part one on the A side and turn it over for the moody Part two. Great song though, Peter Green at his best.