Why become a member? ×

Songs where bits seem tagged on for the hell of it

Barking Spiders

Not exactly an entirely mainstream song, but Morningstar by Baroness is one that comes to mind for me.

For me it is a classic case of tagging a 'heavy rock' riff into the beginning and end of a song. The song in the middle has no relation to the opening riff whatsoever and is kind of just a standard verse/chorus rock song. The opening riff then returns at the end, again out of nowhere. I quite like the opening riff but the song leaves me a bit 'meh'. My friend likes the song but finds the opening riff 'meh'. My brother hates the whole song in its entirety. 

Also I just don't like the mix, the bloody hi hat is so damn loud and everything is really compressed. 

I've never had a problem with a song taking a sudden change of course midway through. In the case of Baba O'Riley, Layla and The Chain, these changes lift the songs to the sublime IMHO. 

There's no reason why a song should remain constant in tempo, key or anything. Grafting two songs together to make a new one is a perfectly valid approach to composition. It's picking the right two song's that's important 😁

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Paul S said:

'Black Betty' is similar, I always thought.

The full length version, presumably?

Much as I love it in its many incarnations, I have to say that "Freebird" is another one in this category.

Quite a few songs by Green Day have an outro that doesn't really follow on from the rest of the song (eg. Boulevard of Broken Dreams). Maybe it's just to make it more difficult for cover bands to learn.

9 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I've never had a problem with a song taking a sudden change of course midway through. In the case of Baba O'Riley, Layla and The Chain, these changes lift the songs to the sublime IMHO. 

There's no reason why a song should remain constant in tempo, key or anything. Grafting two songs together to make a new one is a perfectly valid approach to composition. It's picking the right two song's that's important 😁

I agree, the same with Freebird.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

The jabbing / honkytonk piano middle section of Thunderclap Newman’s “Something in the Air” bears no relation to the song either side of it. No idea why it’s there.

I know what you mean but when the song kicks back in it doesn't seem to matter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm sure many will disagree but there seem to be a fair few rock songs where the writers tag on chunks of music which bears no relation to what's gone before it. 

Layla  and the plinky plonky slow piano bit with meandering slide guitar all over it.

The first bit could describe most of my favourite bands. Prog rules!😂

Yeah, I never liked the outro to Layla. Some of my least favourite slide playing ever. 

I’ve always loved the Layla outro but realise I’m in a very small minority. Duane Allman and EC sound great to these ears, whether ‘in tune’ or not. I remember the album being released and listening to it all the way through in awe. Seem to remember hearing some other versions from the sessions which were far more shall we say ‘interesting’. Will post  if I can find them, if only to annoy the BC faithful. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I’ve always loved the Layla outro but realise I’m in a very small minority. Duane Allman and EC sound great to these ears, whether ‘in tune’ or not. I remember the album being released and listening to it all the way through in awe. Seem to remember hearing some other versions from the sessions which were far more shall we say ‘interesting’. Will post  if I can find them, if only to annoy the BC faithful. 😂

I love that part too, the start of it on piano then when the guitars come in, just fantastic music to me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

While I'm gonna stick to my opinion on Baba and Layla I think all the elements in The Chain hold together well, the way the guitar quietens as 3.00 and that bass line starts at 3.04 and the builds up. A very well constructed song I'd say.

• Like 1

The end part of Sweet Child o Mine by GNR... 

If you have to write lyrics like "Where do we go? Where do we go now?" to finish a song maybe you should take it easy on the brownstone and use your brain for something more than keeping your ears apart.

Edited by bearhart74

There's an entirely disconnected middle section to Sting's Englishman In New York, like he's just remembered he's aspiring to jazz sensibilities (and he's got Branford Marsalis tapping him on the shoulder) halfway through a perfectly good pop song...the drum break to bring it back in is one of the most jarring transitions I've ever heard...

I should add it's one of our 'Quiet set' staples, and we originally played it with the middle section in...once: everyone just looked at us like we'd gone mental, I guess people don't remember the middle...and for good reason... 😕

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1