Why become a member? ×

Songs where bits seem tagged on for the hell of it

Barking Spiders

I'm sure many will disagree but there seem to be a fair few rock songs where the writers tag on chunks of music which bears no relation to what's gone before it. Fr'instance

Baba O'Riley  and the gypsy fiddle tune, which is not bad in itself but it just comes out of nowhere

Layla  and the plinky plonky slow piano bit with meandering slide guitar all over it.

I know there are more.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Baba O'Riley  and the gypsy fiddle tune, which is not bad in itself but it just comes out of nowhere

Layla  and the plinky plonky slow piano bit with meandering slide guitar all over it.

Pete Townsend was playing with his synth at home and came up with something he wanted to put into a song. 

While recording Layla Jim Gordon was at the piano playing some chords and a great idea was had. They tacked this tune onto the end of the song. I reckon it might have worked better if the slide guitarists weren't so stoned.

The track (Love in a Simple Rhyme) that closes Van Halen’s Women and Children First album has a bit tagged on the end that, whilst sounding great in itself, sounds completely out of place. When it happened I assumed it would be the opening riff to their next album, which would’ve been a nice idea, even though I say so myself!

There’s a track on AC/DC’s Powerage (their best album?) called Down Payment Blues that has a blues-y outdo tagged on, though on the original UK release it wasn’t on the album, it appeared on the Australian release.

Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’ by the Stones has an outro/jam that always seemed a bit tagged on. Sounds great, mind...

Edited by Old Man Riva

The jabbing / honkytonk piano middle section of Thunderclap Newman’s “Something in the Air” bears no relation to the song either side of it. No idea why it’s there.

Strangely, the intro to Phil Collins’ “Something Happened on the Way to Heaven” also bears no relation to the song, but works really well when it reappears halfway thru the song as well. It’s the best bit if you ask me....

• Like 1

'Scenes from an Italian restaurant' - Billy Joel

'Take me out' - Franz Ferdinand

'Spirit of radio' - Rush 

'Diamonds on the soles of her shoes' - Paul Simon

'Don't fear the reaper' - Blue oyster Cult.

Edited by casapete

1 minute ago, Maude said:

The middle bit in My Sharona always feels a bit shoved in there, especially when it changes back to the main riff. 

Know what you mean, but by then the main riff is getting a bit much IMHO, and the middle bit breaks it up nicely. Great guitar solo too...😀