Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn
£2850
Netherlands

SurroundedByManatees

Fender 1971 Mustang Bass

Great vintage Fender Mustang bass in a most wanted competition blue finish. As usual with this finish, it has changed to a deep greenish shade. 

eaWDNKv.jpg

sO8Om8M.jpg

sdiPNr5.jpg

dnUz84h.jpg

G4syIMb.jpg

jlPZUER.jpg

XLMXcUO.jpg

GmcGhFq.jpg

iA7hnB7.jpg

B3Tlw6x.jpg

kdSVNtZ.jpg

xuSCw9J.jpg

HkhQlln.jpg

mOavGP3.jpg

UXC7aaG.jpg

IFeS4cW.jpg

m1ZqV4v.jpg

652SwG9.jpg

GlEKBy0.jpg

wnesrpj.jpg

hVN0BBC.jpg

rBr3bkz.jpg

dXNwr2x.jpg

FbvVKpX.jpg

lKKG3oE.jpg

The bass appears to be all original. The serial number, neck and pots date to 1971. The pickups have some unusual codes (I think); 73 2. Not sure if this would mean 1973. There is a weeknumber noted down on the hanging tag; 241, which seems likely to mean to this bass had its check up before leaving the factory in the 24th week of 1971. Under the pickguard  you can see the routing has not been altered in the past. It also shows the amount of discoloration very well.

This is a 50 year old instrument that has been used. It has a lot of dents, scratches, usermarks, finish checking all over... No structural damages though; it´s just a characterful, genuinly roadworn vintage bass. The frets show a good amount of wear, but it's not any problem to play comfortably with a low action (it's fitted with flats now). A few of the bridge saddle screws don´t seem to move (didnt try to hard as they are set just right), which is probably an easy fix with some oil.  It's a light bass; my kitchen scale says it's 3,25 kilos. 

Its a very easy playing instrument with a very enjoyable sound. It's strung with labella Mustang flats, but it goes nicely with more modern sounding flats too! 

I managed to find an original Victoria "salt n pepper" case, which will be included in the sale. The case misses the middle latch, but otherwise feels steady and closes well. 

Asking €3.250

The bass is located in the Netherlands, but can be shipped at buyers risk. 

Tradewise I am interested in a vintage Fender jazz bass (66 with the dots ideally, refin is ok), or vintage offset Fender guitars like jaguar, duo sonic ll or jazzmaster.

I've got other stuff to add in a trade if something really good is being offered. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 13

• MB1 locked this topic