Why become a member? ×

Lindy Fralin `51 Telecaster bass pickup

petetexas

Anyone used one , what sort of sound are you getting ?

All I can get out of mine is BASS BASS BASS .

Normal 250K log pot for volume , normal 250k log with .047 capacitor for tone ( even with the tone wound right back , only slight variation to sound )

Pickup height set Exactly as instructed .

Have I got a DUFF pickup ?

Pete

Which winding is it, over 5%, over 10% or under.

I have the Seymour Duncan hot stack 51 custom shop - it’s upper super hot - it needs its own EQ to everything else, responds to flats and not rounds so much better and really likes fingers as opposed to a pick.

It will be very bassy, but stick with it to find your sweet spot

• Like 1

Have had a reply ( after sending my wiring diagram ) they said there looks no problem to them Suggested l ring , and discuswith Lindy , he may know what the problem is. 

I have dug out my old Eden Terra Nova preamp , used that with it , and it seems ok .

My Geddy Lee Jazz sounds ok direct into my Warwick LWA 1000 ,  so maybe its some kind of miss match at input ?

I have a Lindy Fralin Split '51 P 5% over wound Pup with @KiOgon loom of CTS V & T and  0.047 cap. I have found, just like @Cuzzie, that you have to treat basses with this Pup differently to other basses which have more modern design Pups. Firstly you have to remember that Lindy builds these Pups to the authentic, vintage specs. So using the same wire, form wear, winding style and hook-up wires. So in reality you are dealing with 1951 technology. The Pup has the two coils wired in parallel, which provides the most authentic sound from the Pup. So it is natural that you have to use different amp setups to get the most out of the Pup. I have found that the Fralin split '51 P delivers a much tighter and clearer tone than my Jess Loureiro Split '51 P Pup. The Loureiro is wired in series with the same loom & cap value. When switching to the Fralin bass from the Loureiro bass I find I have to cut the Treble. (12.00 to 9.00) and increase the gain ( 9.00 to 2.00) on my Fender Rumble 800 HD into a Barefaced Super Compact. The two basses have different characters and that's the joy of accessing different tone palettes. I would recommend spending some time tweaking your amp settings until you reach the tone that you are seeking. I guess @hooky_lowdown  would suggest changing the cap value to 0.1 to roll off a little more top end and possibly deliver a smoother tone. But I would listen to what Lindy Fralin says first as he really does know his Pups.

Happy tweaking!!!!

Edited by JohnDaBass
grammar
  • Like 2

That man @JohnDaBass put it far more eloquently than I could ever do.

My 51 being the Seymour Duncan Custom shop hot stack has a 29.8k output which is ludicrously hot.

As a result I feel I can only play it with Flats and TI ones, and I normally play with a pick, but even with rounds the pick didn’t sound right. It a finger root note kind of bass, with great clarity, but I have a Tonestyler bass ten with it in position 4-6 back from open and I have to dial the bass back on my amp waaaaay more than others. I also cannot stack pre-amps like I normally do - this is a bass - compressor - amp pick up/bass.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info , tweaked channel 1 on LWA1000 for the 51, and left channel 2 set up for Geddy Lee .

The reason for buying  the 51 was as a standby bass on stage for the Geddy Lee , but with the tweeking , its beginning to sound better .

I thought ( stupidly ) that it would sound the same .

Thanks guys .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...