Why become a member? ×

Shopping list

Kwiatkowski_73

The most important question of the moment. 

What's on your shopping list for when lockdown ends? Optional question, can your bank account hack it?

Been eyeing up either a Dingwall Super PJ or a Spector Dimensions. 

Also thinking of maybe shifting my GK Stack for a Darkglass.

As soon as I can go into Bass Direct I'm going! 😂

Can imy bank account hack it? No. No it can't. But I'm not overly attached to my left kidney. 

• Like 1

What's the going rate for a kidney these days? I mean mine would be considered well used 😂.

I've just completed my shopping list with a new bass that should arrive friday. A good deal I couldn't pass up. Plus all the bits for my conversion. So as for my list it's currently empty but I doubt it will stay that way !

And the bank balance, if I dont look at it does that count as having enough ? 

• Haha 1

Well whilst I can order one online I’d really like to just be able to go to a music shop and tryout/buy a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass, so I might well show some restraint and do exactly that as my end of lockdown treat. Would just be nice to spend an hour or so in PMT Northampton whiling away the time looking at instruments & amps and trying a few out - though I’m pretty set on the CV60s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well whilst I can order one online I’d really like to just be able to go to a music shop and tryout/buy a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass, so I might well show some restraint and do exactly that as my end of lockdown treat. Would just be nice to spend an hour or so in PMT Northampton whiling away the time looking at instruments & amps and trying a few out - though I’m pretty set on the CV60s.

The smell of brand new basses and guitars. It was helps make you smile and open up your wallet 😂

5 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Well I’m tempted to get a back up amp but holding back as I need to get a full band on its way over the next two months.

I only have a single amp / cab and PBass !! 

People behave been banned for talk like that 😂

• Haha 1

My list unfortunately will soon be one made up of stuff I’ll need to sell rather than acquire. Hoping it doesn’t come to that but must admit I’ve been looking in my music room mentally noting what would be first to go if the gig situation doesn’t turn around soon. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, casapete said:

My list unfortunately will soon be one made up of stuff I’ll need to sell rather than acquire. Hoping it doesn’t come to that but must admit I’ve been looking in my music room mentally noting what would be first to go if the gig situation doesn’t turn around soon. Fingers crossed.

That sucks bud! I hope it doesn't come down to that. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, casapete said:

While the lack of gigs is obviously not good, the rest of your post I look at in a positive light. To have instruments as assets is far preferable to having that money in the bank. Both can be exchanged for necessary goods if the situation arises, but instruments are far more fulfilling until that day comes, and fingers crossed it won't. 

🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maude said:

While the lack of gigs is obviously not good, the rest of your post I look at in a positive light. To have instruments as assets is far preferable to having that money in the bank. Both can be exchanged for necessary goods if the situation arises, but instruments are far more fulfilling until that day comes, and fingers crossed it won't. 

🙂

Absolutely. I always try to buy stuff that holds or even increases in value over the years for that very reason, although sometimes get it wrong! I bought a red Gibson 335 a couple of years ago, after wanting one for years. Prices on them do seem to be on the up so if push comes to shove that’s where I’ll start. It’s not too much of a wrench, as I don’t need it and to be honest am a very average guitarist at best so it doesn’t earn it’s keep either! Already parted with some bass stuff, mainly pedals and a Fender rig that weren’t in danger of being used any time soon so again no biggie. My old Precision however is going nowhere.

Edited by casapete
grammer
  • Like 1

I read some wise words on here a long time ago that stayed with me, something along the lines of it being OK to sell stuff that was a production model (E.g. My MIJ 1970 reissue P bass in left handed which wasn't getting as much playtime as it deserved) because they come back around every now and then, though values may change. 

I've recently ditched all my bass and guitar multi effects and bought a Helix Stomp. So naturally I'm waiting on an expression pedal and thinking about maybe adding a bass Wah, because the stomp doesn't have a model of a bass specific Wah, and also a pedal board and case type thing to protect my new shiny toy. I've also been looking at amps though goodness knows why. I've got an Ashdown rig that has handled every gig I've done for a few years now and though there is "better" kit out there this just does its job admirably, and now the Helix is a great backup. 

I do fancy a 5 string fretted bass though. However... I'm in the midst of a self assembly bitsa and that will take me up to 6 basses. It's too many and I need to downsize on gear before I acquire more, just need to be sensible about what to ditch. I can't see my 1984 Aria SB getting much play unless my 80s covers band takes off and even then my Stingray is a more practical tool for the job. I've got 2 fretless basses but one has sentimental value and the other doesn't but is a joy to play, I have a gorgeous CIJ 75 reissue jazz and while I'd prefer a rosewood board this jazz just looks the absolute business. I don't have a P bass though and I feel I'm missing something. A Sire P7 5er might be a solution to 2 problems, and a fretless neck for my Bitsa. That could justify getting rid of 2 basses for only 1 incoming. 

7 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Surely lockdown doesn't have to end for anyone to splash some cash on some new gear.

Unfortunately, it does mean you can't visit a physical shop until it does end.

Oh, I've spent cash during lockdown. 😂

But when it comes to a new bass....i want hands on. Bought an expensive bass online. When I got it I hated it. Won't make that goof again. 

All of my bass gear was purchased online during lockdown 

But I did sell off a ton of guitar gear and amps / pedals as I packed playing guitar in favour for a return to bass 

My earliest bass rig was an Ampeg SVT CL Head and 610 cab, Stingray bass  which I sold off many years back 

Bread
Milk
Eggs
Veggies
Chicken
Breakfast cereal 
Bog rolls
Lego
JMJ Mustang (any colour)
Peanut butter (crunchy)
Vesta Chow Mein
Top Deck lager n lime shandy x48
Pepto Bismol
maybe some felt picks

can’t think of owt else, best ask my wife, she does lists better than me...

• Haha 3