Why become a member? ×

Dimarzio Model J's or SD QP's Jazz Pups

Mutley

I decided to keep my SX JB75, despite issues with the Gloss neck, that have been improved somewhat by using a window cleaner on the neck instead of Mr Sheen and as I read elsewhere washing hands before playing. So I have decided to have a mod session with this one too, have done all the shielding, sticking with the bridge and tuners as they are very good, so just new pots, scratchplate and of course new Pup's. I am very pleased with the Seymour Duncan QP's I put on my P Bass so could just go with their Jazz QP's, however, the DiMarzio J Bass DP123 have got my interest as well. I would like too keep fairly close to the Jazz sounds. As a newbie to Jazz's I was unaware that the two Pup's are different sizes, is this normal on all Jazz's? The Dimarzio's look about right spec wise to what I have in the SX (92 and 94mm long) however cant find any specs on the SD's, would they be the same? 

Thanks in advance

I have used DiMarzio Split P and Model J D123 PUPs. The J D123 are humbucking and offer a much broader tone palette than standard J Pups. With a good quality loom you can achieve a Jazz which is far more versatile than a the normal typical J bass but still retaining the J character sound. I have a V-bal-T control setup and I can get very close to P  bass sound with the neck Pup solo' d. There's so much choice of Pups on the market I would suggest you do some serious research before spending your hard earned cash.

• Like 2

Not a comment about the pickups - but I agree with @JohnDaBass here, and I'm a fan of DiMarzio D123's personally,

But I noticed your comment about the gloss finish on your bass' neck......
Have you tried polishing / fine sanding the neck? I've had the same issues with a couple of basses (and a guitar) until a helpful BC'er pointed me in the direction of Micro Mesh polishing cloth. This material can be bought in packs of different grades, in small sheet sizes, and you can even wash them out after use.

I bought a pack of a few of the finest grades (3200,  6000, 8000, 12000) and found them really useful on guitars with necks that feel "sticky" - especially when playing in the warmer months. The abrasiveness is very very fine indeed - if you're careful it will leave a protective layer / finish on the wood, but it will take off the top layer of gloss. Obviously, you should do this gradually and take your time - but the "grit" on these cloths is extremely fine.... it's not like taking highly abrasive aluminium oxide paper to your bass!

This stuff is used by jewelers and folk restoring old furniture etc. It worked for me anyway, in fact it was a bit of a revelation - I had a couple of guitars I really liked, apart from the stickiness of glossy necks - it made them much more comfortable to play.

I can't find the link I got sent for my selection pack - but here's one company on eBay who sell separate sheets (you won't need a pack containing every grade). As I say, you wash the sheets after use and re-use again and again.... 

EDIT: The higher the number on the sheet, the finer the grade.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Mesh-Abrasive-Polishing-Cloth-Sheets-9-Grades-7-Sizes-Available/333641208471?hash=item4dae90d297:g:JBkAAOSwMmBVwRtd

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

Micro mesh is also used by guitar builders, especially acoustics, to highly polish the (top) wood pre oil or spray finishing. This is how I heard about it through David Dyke’s Luthier Supplies. Micro mesh doesn’t really take away any layer of wood but after sanding hopefully leaving no scratches, micro mesh is used starting normally from 1500 (or is it 1200?) working up to the final piece in a 9 pack that looks like a shiny piece of material itself. However, using this stuff can also highlight scratches unseen at the end of normal sanding as the polishing effect brings them out so before oil or spraying a clear finish, those damned scratches can be looked at. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

It is usual for the bridge pickup to be longer than the neck. Lengths should be pretty standard.

If you're keen to keep close to standard jazz sounds, neither the Quarter Pounds or Model Js are really close, more hot-rodded, really. As I understand it the QPs are more scooped, the Model Js more mid-focused.

Both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have more standard sounding options. I've read good things about the Dimarzio Area Js, which are also hum-cancelling, although I haven't tried them!

I have just fitted the DP123 Model J into the bridge position on my Aerodyne and I very pleased with it. It does seem to me to keep the Jazz sound and is also silent, no buzz or hum.

• Like 2