Why become a member? ×

Out of Time - obsolete songs and lyrics

KevL

The Boxtops - My baby she wrote me a letter. Really? How quaint of her. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Texas Flood.  Surely nowadays it wouldn’t matter much if all the telephone lines were down? As long as the WiFi was doing ok.

....and of course being Back In The USSR is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

News Of The World The Jam

From Nothing Ever Happens Del Amitri "secretaries turn off typewriters..."

Whilst [electric] typewriters aren't around anymore, I don't know how many jobs would be titled as a traditional secretary doing secretarial stuff. Probably called admin, HR etc; and emails and the like have made much of the secretarial role redundant. 

Edited by KevL

2 hours ago, alyctes said:

I think US currency is green though?

Yes it is but do you really think that the lyrics of the song are referring to the US or that anybody listening to it, either when realeased or now, would think of dollars? The Jam were one of the most English of bands and this was reflected in their songs.

Edited by KevL
  • Like 1

Ernie Benny Hill

Horse-drawn milkcarts must have been obsolete when this was released in 1970 but milkmen themselves are now a rarity. 

We've recently started using a milkman, it's great having non-homogenised whole milk from a glass bottle. No milk float or early start for our guy, though, he has a Toyota pick-up and does his round during the day. One thing that has renained to this day is the 'milkman's hands': even in last week's Baltic weather he could pull 3 or 4 bottles out of the crate with one hand and walk up the drive no problem.

• Like 1