Why become a member? ×

Slapping with finger tips?

Flippyhogwash

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but if it's a technique that produces a usable sound that you like then crack on. 

John Entwistle of The Who had a technique where he did what I think you're doing. His fingers were kind of in line with the strings and he tapped with his fingertips to produce his heavy clanking tone, like a typewriter. 

• Thanks 1

That is quite the most bizarre way I've seen a bass played, and just looks plain wrong. But it sounds great and doesn't appear to be holding him back so crack on I say. 

I wonder what led to him adopting that style though. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Maude said:

I wonder what led to him adopting that style though.

My thoughts exactly.

It's like someone handed a bass to a guy who'd never seen one before and told them to work out how to play it for themselves.

There's no denying it works for him though.

He's a better player than I am.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maude said:

I've just noticed the black bass is a lefty, converted to a righty to get the controls and jack out of the way but keep the E string at the top. He hasn't just stumbled on this way of playing. 

I'm wrong, it must be a righty due to the length of the top horn, but the controls and jack must have been relocated. Or it was built from scratch for him. Intriguing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, visog said:

Arch-denizen of the music show, Nigel Clutterbuck (surname sounds like the technique) does a good line in this combined with slap and pull. Here's one of his typical note-sandwiches...

That's amazing for all the wrong reasons. Could almost have been me, after I worked out how Mark King did that machine-gun triplets thing. Assuming my next thought had been "wonder how I can make my bass sound like a box of springs & ball bearings being chucked down the stairs". :lol:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, visog said:

Arch-denizen of the music show, Nigel Clutterbuck (surname sounds like the technique) does a good line in this combined with slap and pull. Here's one of his typical note-sandwiches...

He’s a lovely bloke - had a few beers with him a good while ago now.

I can’t remember what he calls that stuff he does, it’s got a name like “tappaclique” or something along those lineswhich could’ve been pulled out of thin air.

Anyhow, he absolutely knows it can empty a room like a post egg cress butty fart.

He’s is a very decent player otherwise, but sharing a trade stand next to it for a full day Is exhausting 😂

Edit - he calls it “Rhythmsync” - so catchy a name I had to go looking to remember it. 

Still, lovely fella.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

That's amazing for all the wrong reasons. Could almost have been me, after I worked out how Mark King did that machine-gun triplets thing. Assuming my next thought had been "wonder how I can make my bass sound like a box of springs & ball bearings being chucked down the stairs". :lol:

I’ve never really understood why Nigel gets so much grief. He’s usually asked to do this stuff when demonstrating gear, or when he’s just amusing himself (he used to work in A1 Music in Manchester, my regular haunt). He’s a lovely bloke too. 

God forbid anyone ever films me playing in a music shop, razzing around like Matt Garrison on speed. 😂

• Haha 1