Why become a member? ×

Cort Rithimic Jeff Berlin

Slapbass Shaun

Hi all,been a while since I was on here.

I've recently bought a 4 string version of the above.

I have to say that its one of the best "feeling" basses

Ive ever played.Its definately a Bass player's Bass.

No fancy electrics but everything else about it is quality.

As he puts it "‘Its a beautiful representation of nothing special’.

Any thoughts?

Anyone had/got one?

20201226_133314.jpg

20201224_120027.jpg

20201224_115825.jpg

20201224_115812.jpg

20201224_115802.jpg

20201224_115754.jpg

20201224_115724.jpg

20201224_115718.jpg

20201224_115658.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Doctor J

I know Cort doesnt sound like the most desirable bass

but this truly is a quality build with quality components also.

And they are getting quite rare.

There's one on ebay now for about £600.

It cost me £477 inc p&p.Nearly new without a mark on it.

had original strings on even which were dead.

but yes,I think I'll hold on to this.

• Like 1

My brother has one and a Peavey Palaedium, both are fantastic basses. He reckons they're amongst the best basses he's ever owned and he has or has had Alembic, Pedulla, Zon, Status, Warwick, ACG, Zoot, Manne, Spector etc, so the quality of those basses is assured. He has a Markbass Jeff Berlin amp too for the "full Berlin" effect.

They do play like butter and the pickups sound fantastic, being both fat and clear while playing over the bridge pickup with the neck pickup switched off. Some basses can get a bit thin or shrill when you do that but not these. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, White Cloud said:

Peavey Palaedium ... a rare as rocking horse poo!

Indeed, there aren't many of them out there. People slept on USA Peavey guitars and basses and when they stopped making them, well we didn't know how good we had it.

My brother's Palaedium is a fantastic example, in the classic orange most associated with Jeff. I bought it for him a a gift - he is lucky to have a top brother like me! I got it for $300 from a pawn shop in Kentucky in the US and had it shipped to the UK. It was a gamble but it is amazing shape for a bass that is nearly 30 years old. I think it spent most of it's life in a case in a stable environment.

The neck is super thin, quite a bit thinner than the Rithimic, but totally stable, it hasn't needed a tweak since it was set up on arrival in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Years back I went to the Gallery after a Jazz , walked out with the Rithimic. Maybe £800 new, plays like something twice that. The neck for me was perfect, plus great woods and hardware. Body design is divisive but looks great / better in real life  

Ultimately didn’t get on with the Barts, with hindsight should have swapped these out. Was the last 4 I owned too. Always been interested to try his Rithmic 5, despite what Jeff says about 5 string players .. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2021 at 14:25, Defo said:

Always fancied one, would you play rock/pop covers on it or is it too refined?

I personally wouldnt play rock(The barts voulme is not that hot).

Should be ok with pop.

One thing for me is that it is NOT a slappers dream bass.(Too short a distance

between end of neck and neck pick up)

But thats just my opinion

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Last time I went to the LBGS the Corts were my favourite basses to play. The Rithmic was clearly a wonderful bass but the neck was a bit slim for me.

Agree about the neck being slim,But I

only have little finguz....

Ive been playing/noodling/etc it for a while now

and when I went back on my Jazz Bass,the neck felt 

like a TreeTrunk...lol.

Edited by Slapbass Shaun
edit post

Jeff claims this is the biggest bass design leap or however he puts it since jazz bass, I suppose it's 'controversial' statements that are the marketing ploy here, and Greg from basstheworld on youtube says the pickups panning and adding or reducing volume does something special to the sound other basses dont.

I WANT ONE TOO.

But as others said, you have to buy one to try it as they are not really out there in the shops (irrelevant in covid times, I know...). Slim jazz-like neck is also not my thing so maybe I just need to forget it...

*checks the 'for sale' thread, just in case*

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have a lot of time for Jeff Berlin but his US style hyperbole is something I find to be a real turn off.

That aside, I remember a student of mine from Cardiff has a Palaedium and it was a brilliant little bass. I am gassing got the Rithimic V. I need a 5-string and this one really floats my boat. I have heard it on loads of recordings and it sounds consistently great. Jeff's go to sound has always been that of Jack Bruce and so has mine so it's no surprise that I would be tempted.

On 17/02/2021 at 13:52, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Last time I went to the LBGS the Corts were my favourite basses to play. The Rithmic was clearly a wonderful bass but the neck was a bit slim for me.

That’s really interesting. I nearly tried one they had in the Gallery but a quick feel of the neck put me off as I thought it was too big! 

On 27/08/2021 at 19:53, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I meant the nut width, it felt like it was about 2cm 😂

It probably wouldn't bother me much now as I'm used to my Thunderbird.

I guess it’s a Jazz-esque nut width; typically not my preference either. I don’t really spend a lot of time down there though. 😉

Edited by 4000

On 18/02/2021 at 19:34, Romeo2 said:

Jeff claims this is the biggest bass design leap or however he puts it since jazz bass

Jeff has said that it's the finest passive bass since the 1962 Fender jazz on a number of occasions, I'm sure that will be the quote you're referring to. I find the quote a little effusive but you don't sell a product by being half-hearted about it. At least in Jeff's case there is transparency as he always plays the off the rack gear. The only exception to this being that one of his Rithimics has the frets ground down (this is the one that Cort gave him after his Asia tour a few years ago)  

I've had my Rithimic for four or five years now after I bought it on here from Neil Murray. I absolutely love it. Light, extremely easy to play and with a fantastic sound. 

I've had a Palaedium for a few years now too, these are the two basses I would never sell. They are both amazing and subtly different but bring out the best in my playing. 

tliM6rs.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 19:34, Romeo2 said:

Jeff claims this is the biggest bass design leap or however he puts it since jazz bass, 

For my money, that accolade goes to the first of the Brian Bromberg basses, the Peavey B Quad 4. That thing was properly bonkers compared to everything that was around at the time. I'd love one.

Peavey B Quad 4 | Luthiers Access Group

• Like 3