Why become a member? ×

Quarter Pound(er)

Guest MoJo

26 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

They were called quarter pounders when originally released. Don't know when the name change happened.

McDonald's probably has a trademark on 'Quarter Pounder' so they changed to 'Quarter Pound'. 

Quite what a pound has to do with it anyway I don't know, surely they should be 'Quarter Inchers'. That's not quite so macho sounding though I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always thought the 'Quater Pounder' term was derived from some sort of ordanance size in weight or caliber of round, HE or incendry device... like the 25 Pound Field Gun etc...

I am aware of the 1/4" pole pieces used in the pickup, so aligning with some reference to impact or heft...

Oh, and Gerkin OUT....

Edited by PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, Maude said:

McDonald's probably has a trademark on 'Quarter Pounder' so they changed to 'Quarter Pound'.

I was going to say, 'when McDonalds lawyers gently persuaded them to'. First alternative name, Big Mac and Fries, was quickly ruled out too

22 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I'm more pedantic than most, which has caused me a load of grief as I get older & more obsessive-compulsive, but this one isn't as bad as guitar-players constantly referring to their vibrato bridges as tremolos, or bass-players saying 'steel' when they are referring to STANLESS steel strings. All strings designed for magnetic pickups are steel, but not all are stainless.

Are those STANLESS strings made for Eminem?