Why become a member? ×

Quarter Pound(er)

Guest MoJo

They are both quarter pounders. The burger cos its based, or was, on a quarter pound of meat. The pickups for obvious reasons. They can both be termed quarter pounders as if you have one of either you are unlikely to say "I have a quarter pound". The answer would be, a quarter pound what?

I'm more pedantic than most, which has caused me a load of grief as I get older & more obsessive-compulsive, but this one isn't as bad as guitar-players constantly referring to their vibrato bridges as tremolos, or bass-players saying 'steel' when they are referring to STAINLESS steel strings. All strings designed for magnetic pickups are steel, but not all are stainless.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling: stainless

When I bought my Quarter Pound pickup there was a good second hand one for sale. The bloke said he only wanted a tenner for it, so I told him I didn't understand what he meant and bought a new one instead. 😉

Another thought as pedantry runs strong in this thread, is it 'a Precision pickup', or 'a set/pair of Precision pickups', as there's two of them?