Why become a member? ×

How many instruments do you play?

Lloyd80

Just for fun! How talented are you?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. So how many instruments do you play?

• Duh! Only one, the bass is goddddd!!
    • Two! I need a break from bass on occasion !
    • Three! Yes I'm that good!
    • Four...seriously!
    • Five, how do you have the time?
    • Six, well you are talented arent you! ;)
    • Seven...how is it possible!!!!
    • More than seven!!!! Impossible!!!

I have only included ones I can do some level of tune on, although I can play others, so Guitar, Bass, Keyboard, Flute, Clarinet, trumpet. I can make some sort of noise on a violin and cello, but not something I would want to do in front of someone else, then there is the chapman stick, but that is just like a guitar.

So, you’re in the desert, it’s 2000 bc and you find some stones on a mountain and there’s some writing on them. Once you’ve become literate (three or so years well spent I think) you find that ...

apart from some boring crap about not coveting your neighbour’s donkey, and not killing people (cos that’s like really bad okay?) one of them says “thou shalt have no other instrument than the blessed bass guitar”. Now obviously that doesn’t come into effect until God created Leo fender (through guiding the efforts of his parents naturally) and Leo himself gets around to inventing the precision bass, but it’s a fckuing commandment, okay? From GOD. How much more clear do things have to be made exactly ? Don’t fukc around with the triangle. 

before I get totally flamed, I’m satirising the Charlton Heston Moses movie, NOT anyone’s actual faith 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

So, you’re in the desert, it’s 2000 bc and you find some stones on a mountain and there’s some writing on them. Once you’ve become literate (three or so years well spent I think) you find that ...

apart from some boring crap about not coveting your neighbour’s donkey, and not killing people (cos that’s like really bad okay?) one of them says “thou shalt have no other instrument than the blessed bass guitar”. Now obviously that doesn’t come into effect until God created Leo fender (through guiding the efforts of his parents naturally) and Leo himself gets around to inventing the precision bass, but it’s a fckuing commandment, okay? From GOD. How much more clear do things have to be made exactly ? Don’t fukc around with the triangle. 

And this is why I love this forum!!!!!😂

26 minutes ago, Lloyd80 said:

And this is why I love this forum!!!!!😂

Made someone laugh -awesome. :) Not bad for someone who’s been up since stupid o’clock doing the partner birthday thing alongside two small kids 

I didn’t bother ticking the boxes - y’all know my answer 

Edited by Geek99

20 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

If the triangle  count😁

This, played it on stage at age of 6.

Main has been bass, but it's more guitar which has improved over past years. (Not gigging standard, mainly rythm, but can layer a decent solo plying sections the glue together in DAW). As @AndyTravis mentioned keyboard, it' s more or less to operate Vst instruments and synth, some piano (very simple stuff). Used to play drums quite well 30 years ago. A bit of Jews harp (used it in the BC composition last year or so).

Do microphone and comb kazoo count?

how about air bass, air drum or air guitar?

Edited by SH73

10 hours ago, Geek99 said:

before I get totally flamed, I’m satirising the Charlton Heston Moses movie, NOT anyone’s actual faith 

But the bass is all but useless without the rest of the band.

I've finally made up my mind how to vote on this.

I put two.

1. Keyboards (although it's really just synthesiser - don't expect me to be able to provide full song accompaniment on the piano) and

2. Any plucked stringed fretted instrument. The mental attitude to what I need to play will vary depending on the instrument in question, but the playing techniques remain basically the same - one hand for fretting the other for plucking.

22 hours ago, Cato said:

Bass and guitar, although I'm never really sure if that should be classed as being able to play two different instruments when for all intents and purposes they're the same basic idea, tuned the same way,  just traditionally used for different roles.

Anyway who can play one should be able to get at least a basic tune out of the other.

The messed up two extra guitar strings preclude me from playing much more than basic guitar chords so I don't bother with the skinny string other.

If you put a gun to my head or I get drunk enough I will still scratch out a solo on a spare violin.

Bass hooked me while I was a violin player in my highschool jazz combo. Damn, the coolest thing I ever heard to this day when the guitar player showed up with a bass instead! Fast forward my O.E and I'm back home at a blues bar and dang, I NEED to take up the bass. So I did. Helluva mind f going from strings in 5ths to strings in 4ths but I overcame. A little less adding the 5th string.

Ymmv.

started off playing bass and piano  bit of guitar, banjo and slide and have always had a few flutes knocking about, and have been asked now and again to play  percussion which i love and have a great set up, but when i started to write and record my own tunes then that opened up a whole new world for me, 1 i got sick of asking brass players to do parts so i got a trombone then another then another got 4 now so i do all the trombone parts, no mad soloing just lines and melodies and then i started on trumpet so got  one then a better one then a better one again got 4 now, which im only good enough to get my lines down again no solo stuff, drums im not sure how i got into that or even when, just one of them things over the years again not to a  fantastic std but good enough to get the basics down on my tracks, and a blues harp gob iron iv had for years, so i play all these on my tracks to varying standards, crap on most but ok on a few, thank god for cut and paste 🙂

so iv ended up with

1 Bass ...... have a few of them

2 Guitar, ...have a few of them

3, drums ...acoustic and roland electronic kits

4, percussion... congas/bongos timbs rotos and all sorts of things that go bang when you whack them.

5 keys.... nord and CME UF8 and racks

6 Flute,... 5 of them yamaha, TJ, bla bla bla

7 Trombone, 4, jiggs king besson and a lovely 100+year old Hawks and son

8 Trumpet, 4 of

9 Banjo,...a nice old framus + steel guitar/dobro

10, mouth organ.... not played that in years always had one in the car for boring trips and ques !

BUt... iv just in the last year or so had the lust for a nice set of marimba/ vibes, think its roy ayers been seeping through all those years,  iv found my self checking out prices looking for space to put them, would love a nice set of them in the studio, pref ones with butterflys/rotating paddles from a motor in the resonator pipes ( like a mini leslie speaker in each pipe) maybe...one day ... when i can afford one

ahhhh....thats it im off to look again, no harm looking 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marimba-Bergerault-4-3-Octave/293344979385?hash=item444cb929b9:g:GCMAAOSw9ltd2Vll

Edited by funkgod

Bass, (mostly acoustic) guitar, harmonica and singing (if you class that as an instrument).

Have got by on cajon for some gigs but it’s not exactly rocket science.

But I’ll stick with four based on things I do currently, regularly and to a gig worthy level. 

Edited by bassbiscuits