Why become a member? ×

How many instruments do you play?

Lloyd80

Just for fun! How talented are you?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. So how many instruments do you play?

• Duh! Only one, the bass is goddddd!!
    • Two! I need a break from bass on occasion !
    • Three! Yes I'm that good!
    • Four...seriously!
    • Five, how do you have the time?
    • Six, well you are talented arent you! ;)
    • Seven...how is it possible!!!!
    • More than seven!!!! Impossible!!!

So as I am on a break and I was thinking back to my early days gigging with a band. I remembered how many musicians I met that were quite talented. I used to only play the drums and have only recently picked up the bass. But in my younger years I tried and failed at picking up another instrument. I could play a few songs on the guitar but that was it. 

As of now only I only play  the drums and bass. I can still knock a few songs out on the guitar...badly and play a few melodies on the ivories but nowhere near the level that I would consider myself able to play them. 

One thing I have noticed is how my musicianship has definitely improved with age. I no longer give up easily. But I was also thinking do some instruments just suit certain people.  For me I found the drums easy. 

Would love to hear your stories and opinions basschatters!

I play guitar to a decent standard, and I can construct stuff using keyboards, but I’d never say I can play piano.

If it’s got frets and strings; I’ll give it a go.

I own a piano accordian which has been passed through the family. But I haven’t a clue what to do with it.

Bass and guitar, although I'm never really sure if that should be classed as being able to play two different instruments when for all intents and purposes they're the same basic idea, tuned the same way,  just traditionally used for different roles.

Anyway who can play one should be able to get at least a basic tune out of the other.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

It depends on the use of the word 'play'. In my case it's probably somewhere between none and one.

At a Christmas party some years ago, there was a piano. Several people got up and played mostly carols to which we all sang along. After my son got on the piano and played a few Christmas hits, e.g. Last Christmas, I said 'I didn't realise you could play the piano that well'. He replied 'I can't play the piano at all, but I understand how music works'.

So, maybe there's a difference between actually knowing how to play an instrument and being able to get a tune out of it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cato said:

Bass and guitar, although I'm never really sure if that should be classed as being able to play two different instruments when for all intents and purposes they're the same basic idea, tuned the same way,  just traditionally used for different roles.

Anyway who can play one should be able to get at least a basic tune out of the other.

Would that make violin and cello the same instrument too .... which I'd say they are not.

• Like 2

Three, so : drums (obviously; I'm a drummer...), guitar (I started out with this, and still play regularly...) and bass (played on the guitar at first, until I bought a 'real' bass, if a Vox counts as such...). I now have several basses, the 'goto' being my Hofner Verithin. I dabble in keys, but only very modestly, so I've not counted that, nor the 'virtual' orchestral instruments available through my DAW. B|

Guitar and bass for me and I  own a drum kit. Since lockdown, my drumming has come on a bit. I  recorded along with a jazz backing track yesterday and it sounded almost like a drummer. 

Anyone who has heard my composition challenge entries can decide for themselves on the merits of my drum wrangling :(

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Haha 1

Only two - bass & guitar - with anything approximating competence, and that's debatable. I can drum a bit, enough to work out parts that (I hope) sound like what a proper drummer would do. If I had time/opportunity/motivation I could probably get to a gig-able standard.

Been noodling around on keyboards a bit recently for a recording project, first time in a lot of years, can still just about manage a simple right-hand melody & single note left. Helps if it's in C or Am, and I'd hardly call it 'playing'!

Like @AndyTravis if it has frets and strings I will be able to get something musical out of it. As well as bass guitars, I've also owned guitars, Balalaikas (including a solid electric one I built my self as a try out to see if my woodworking skills were good enough to make an electric guitar) and a Mandolin

I also play keyboards well enough to have been a synth player in a band for 6 years in the 80s.

• Like 2

To a reasonably competent pub gig level I'd say bass and rhythm guitar, could also probably get away with a short set of saz and ukulele tunes, too. Got around thirty instruments like bouzouki, cifteli, oud and setar but there's no way I'd claim to have any grasp of the skill needed to say I was a player of them. They're simply there for me to dabble with and enjoy and explore the different styles, modes and tones of music from around the globe.

• Like 1

Bass Guitar is my instrument but I play upright bass and have played lead / rhythm / acoustic guitars and mandolin to a responsible standard too. I can (& have) sit in the mix with a band on lapsteel, harmonica and 4, 5 and 6 string banjo. I learnt a load of new stuff when I was playing Americana. I've just started learning a few block chords on keyboard but it's early days. As said my default is bass player rather than multi-instrumentalist.

Bass, drums and guitar for me.

I've done the occasional thing on ukulele and mandolin, but I'm definitely more of an "owner" than a "player." 

I do appear on an album, playing the dulcimer on a tune. Weird things happened in the nineties...

I’ve swung !! from bass to guitar and back to bass 

I’m a decent rhythm guitarist and acceptable lead guitarist sufficient to of fronted two or three covers bands. 

However my true love is the bass and I’ve sold off everything guitar related and have only bass gear today.

When I listen to music I hear and feel the bass lines more so than the chords / melody lines so I find it more natural playing bass, also more relaxing and enjoyable 

I was always tone chasing with guitar with many amp and pedal changes etc 

I wish I had just focused on bass as I would of saved loads of money. 

So based on that I ticked ONE 

Edited by BassAdder27

I'm at 3 on the poll, assuming EB,EUB and DB all count as one but have also gigged and taught guitar and tenor banjo(no sniggering please). I  have done some gigs on mandolin but it's not one of my main instruments but it's fun to noodle on. 

For a number of years I taught music in a high school so I can make noise on most reed and brass instruments but not at gigging level.