Why become a member? ×

G.A.S. is a sickness that we encourage!

Killed_by_Death

On 15/02/2021 at 09:13, LukeFRC said:

Different kind of Large bass collections

9- Completists

pride themselves on not having GAS, not as picky as some of the above - they have a a small collection... 1 precision, one jazz, one 5 string, one stingray, one fretless, one EUB.

I think this is me. Sort of. I don't have a fretless,  but an EUB instead,  and a Chapman Stick. No precision, jazz or Ray, but others that fill those roles.

There's 4s, 5s, a set-neck, bolt ons, thru-necks, wood, graphite and Luthite. And a token headless.

The only thing they all have in common is that they all seem to be active. That's not a conscious thing.  It's just happened that way. 

As for GAS, I don't really have it. There's some things I've always wanted to at least try, but most are older and out of production, so I just keep an eye open for them. 

At a tangent,  I think it's fair enough to have 4 of one kind of instrument,  such as (for example) a jazz;

1 with rounds, 1 fretless, 1 with flats, 1 drop-tuned across the board (DGCF)

My entry into the world of 5 string basses was actually having a need to learn how to play one.  Before then I had tried a couple out of curiosity but not gelled so I didn't pursue it.  Then my band changed direction and I needed to have a 5er as a lot of the new material has low notes. 

The best advice I was given was to shut away my 4 string basses and just use the 5er until I got used to it.  It took a while but eventually I 'got' the whole thing - not just the extra low notes but the ergonomics of playing across the neck etc etc.  It also made me rethink my whole approach to the neck of a bass as, up until then, I had convinced myself I only liked slim necks. 

So I firmly believe that is the thing with 5ers - you need to have a strong enough incentive to keep at it because it does need some reconfiguring of your mind.  Or start with one from scratch, of course.

A few years on and I now flit between 4 and 5 string.  Truth be told I actually prefer playing 4 strings but having the 5er there is still a necessary thing for me.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

What is this FB of which you speak? 🤔

It's short for Feces Book, because it's full of !@#$ 🤣

The upswing is that you can block people & never have to read their nonsense again. 

It seems to be the go-to place for bad advice on setting up an instrument, LOL!

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

My entry into the world of 5 string basses was actually having a need to learn how to play one.  Before then I had tried a couple out of curiosity but not gelled so I didn't pursue it.  Then my band changed direction and I needed to have a 5er as a lot of the new material has low notes. 

The best advice I was given was to shut away my 4 string basses and just use the 5er until I got used to it.  It took a while but eventually I 'got' the whole thing - not just the extra low notes but the ergonomics of playing across the neck etc etc.  It also made me rethink my whole approach to the neck of a bass as, up until then, I had convinced myself I only liked slim necks. 

So I firmly believe that is the thing with 5ers - you need to have a strong enough incentive to keep at it because it does need some reconfiguring of your mind.  Or start with one from scratch, of course.

A few years on and I now flit between 4 and 5 string.  Truth be told I actually prefer playing 4 strings but having the 5er there is still a necessary thing for me.

That will be my approach Paul, at the moment I don’t need a 5 string bass, and won’t get one until I do, but should the need arise I’ll have to focus solely on it to get the best out of both it and me. I’m be sure at some point it will happen.

16 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

The 5-string players on FB like to claim that once you go 5 you never go back. Poppycock!

I sometimes hear of bassists like that who only play the 5 string because they honestly believe that they're making their bass life "easier". Their rationale being the economy of movement and that learning one type of bass can cover all ground. Many do, however, eventually realise where they're going wrong.

There are some notable disadvantages:
-it encourages a lazy box-squatting approach to the bass. No need to be creative or explore their instrument, just stay in the same box and play there every night.
-some go to great lengths to torture their poor instrument to make full use of the B string on every song, even though it doesn't call for it most of the time.
-many don't appreciate that the rumbling unmuted B string doesn't make a good recording or live sound, even when they're using it as a thumb rest 90% of the time.

Both 5 string and 6 strings and even 7 strings have their rightful place, but it's best to use the right bass for the job.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

-it encourages a lazy box-squatting approach to the bass.

I wish this approach would be taken to its logical conclusion: if all that is wanted is an easy smooth line, then a 6-string bass tuned in major 3rds would give the same range as a 5-string tuned in 4ths (B-E-A-D-G -> B-D#-G-B-D#-G) and would let the full chromatic range lie under the four fingers without any movement up and down the neck. A two octave range without having to move the hand at all! Can't think why it doesn't catch on.... :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

I sometimes hear of bassists like that who only play the 5 string because they honestly believe that they're making their bass life "easier". Their rationale being the economy of movement and that learning one type of bass can cover all ground. Many do, however, eventually realise where they're going wrong.

-it encourages a lazy box-squatting approach to the bass. No need to be creative or explore their instrument, just stay in the same box and play there every night.
-some go to great lengths to torture their poor instrument to make full use of the B string on every song....

Ah... Much of the material I play needs a B string, as those notes are in the original recordings. 

I tend to play the 5 like it's a 4 with a B string when covering material that was originated from a 4 tuned EADG.

If playing drop tuned material,  I treat it like a BEAD tuned 4 with a spare high G

If it's  from a 5, well, that's covered. 

A six? I'm snookered!

Exactly the sort of thing I mean, I saw the meme earlier on FB.

Those types of things are SO common in the communities of stringed-instrument players & I assume any type of hobby that includes purchasing gear.

Take my example this weekend, I posted asking about bass arrangements to learn in Playing & Technique & got exactly Nada, Zilch. If I had posted about what bass or amp to buy I'd be soliciting responses ALL weekend & into next week.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I avoided internet discussions about bass for a month, & one of the things glaring at me when I came back was this, the obsession with buying, hoarding even, & encouraging others to do the same.

There's a guy in a small bass group I'm in that seems to really get off on mentioning he has almost 20 basses & is working getting X more soon. I guess we're supposed to be envious, but I feel the opposite.

I try to respect his wishes & perspective, but he crashes my conversations to interject how many he owns, weird!

I don't really know, but being an advanced player justifies owning a hoard of them?

or maybe you're implying that he spends more time tinkering & shopping than practicing, which is something I used to do

Claims he builds them, but I think he's just assembling parts basses.

Oh wait, a recent comment was that he only plays a couple of times/month, damn!