Why become a member? ×

G.A.S. is a sickness that we encourage!

Killed_by_Death

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

For me it’s wanting a different sound, only to realise once the initial buzz has worn off that I only like Precisions & Jazzes, P/J basses at a push tho preferably not active.

to be fair half of that statement is a relatively new! 

• Haha 1

I don't like J-bass pickups, too narrow.

I could go for a double-P with DiMarzio's:

13924987_10154258156056014_6483279480459

I have double split-coils in my current #1, so it does everything I need:

Nordstrand_Pickups_BigSplitMan4__nocover

This is what the Nordstrand Big-Splits look like under the cover.

If I balance to the neck pickup & roll back the treble-cut knob, instant P-bass sound.

Following on from my kitchen sink psychology earlier... I think a big part of it is we get into long term relationships and instead of chasing ‘birds’ we chase gear. 

We have that special someone in our lives who we love and appreciate and they allow us the folly of gear whoring. It’s harmless, rarely has a cost (cause we keep flipping stuff so the initial cost become irrelevant) and is effectively harmless. 

I could be wrong. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, krispn said:

Following on from my kitchen sink psychology earlier... I think a big part of it is we get into long term relationships and instead of chasing ‘birds’ we chase gear. 

We have that special someone in our lives who we love and appreciate and they allow us the folly of gear whoring. It’s harmless, rarely has a cost (cause we keep flipping stuff so the initial cost become irrelevant) and is effectively harmless. 

I could be wrong. 

I’m not sure about that - but I think there’s probably a link between blokes of a certain age and certain bracket of disposable income getting into things in a certain way - could be fishing rods, hifi, golf clubs, road bikes or basses. 
Then the marketing is good enough for enough of us to buy into the upsell... 

On 15/02/2021 at 19:12, LukeFRC said:

I made the money saving realisation a while back that the 'I want a new bass' feeling often coincided with my strings getting old. new strings are cheaper than a new bass!

Absolutely spot on!! 😂

Perhaps if everyone learned to love flatwounds, then future GAS could be avoided 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

While my children are still young, I'll just have my jazz/P bass/Sterling and hope to god no more stinky poo comes up,where I've to sell another one.

Is there an ex pro player who never had any more than 6 basses at time section? The one where life keeps intervening, and they have to be sold 😂

I also have a terrible pedal addiction, I'd say this thread is transferable to the effects section too 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I'm far too obsessive-compulsive to get into pedals, it's like a large puzzle with infinite combinations to 'solve'.

My life is far too short to get into pedals. Its like one of those games they play at Games Workshop - looks like it would be fun but it's going to take over your life

Edited by LukeFRC

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

My life is far too short to get into pedals. Its like one of those games they play at Games Workshop - looks like it would be fun but it's going to take over your life

It's easy.

Get a marker pen, number your pedals 1 to 20.

Roll 1 x d20

That's your first pedal in the chain. Repeat. That's  the second. Continue until they're all gone, ignoring any repetition.

Job done.😂