Why become a member? ×

LUCKY LOCKDOWN...(what?)

Col the Plunker

Hi folks.

This started off as a reply to the member's " HAS LOCKDOWN IMPROVED YOUR PLAYING" post. Then as it got longer and longer I thought that maybe it merited a post of its own. Especially as the lockdown opened a big big door for me musically. Perhaps similar events happened to other members too???

So grab a coffee and a digestive and I'll begin my yarn.

I have been playing guitar for many years, but have always secretly wanted to play bass. I have an ancient Encore Pbass circa 1980-82 amongst my guitar collection which I had restored back to its former glory. Even freeing up the butchered truss-rod and respraying. So I bought an amp for her, and also a new Hofner B-bass for a stable - mate. ( Don't you just love buying your own birthday prezzies... luckily my family chipped in). I thought after years of guitar playing that switching to bass would be a doddle. Big mistake as I painfully found out. Plus a new scourge called Covid 19 was about to enter stage and bring about a change I'd never dreamed of... Anyway..

My new bass amp arrived just when Covid first started to get scary, so when at the end of a workday I entered my front door, a large box blocked my way. Yay! Amp's arrived. Hang on a mo... It was covered in Chinese print. Aaargh! What to do? quarantine it? Stick it in the garage for a week? I told Wifey to keep clear of it. Then she gave me THAT LOOK.

"Col, you utter nob - look at the rest of the box before buying a ton of steriliser"

I did so and saw other different foreign print on the other sides, not just Asian. It was merely multi- lingual  Phew!

Anyway, I threw off my rubber gloves, and I buckled down to my new quest on four strings and was making progress well into the first lockdown. Whilst being stuck at home  I discovered Basschat and started devouring all the tips and tricks and advice from all helpful members. I even posted a thread myself and ended it jokingly casting out for a more experienced player to socially distance jam with, I could fast-track my bass playing learning capability.

Soon I had reply from a member (Hi Loudspeaker)  who not only played bass in a gigging BAND,  but  also invited me over to play in  his studio/rehearsal building behind  his house with room to social distance. When the day arrived my axes of choice were my Hofner B-bass and my Dean Cadi six string plus a bag of pedals for when my small bass reportoire dried up. My amps were not needed. When my few tunes on bass were done, I grabbed the Dean and we began cranking out the classics. After another few sessions ending up with me on guitar again, my bass guru says:- "Col, have you ever thought of playing guitar in a band?"

Me: "What? you mean with real players in front of real people?"

"Well that's what generally happens with a band"

" No I couldn't, I'd pink torpedo-up,  people would laugh at me, it would be like Spinal Tap" (what a classic film). 

"Listen,  you pick new things up quickly, keep good time, and you're solos are fast and none too shabby, I think that you're easily as good as our guitarist."

" That's the thing though, I'm not a guitarist really, I can play some guitar, okay  a fair amount, but there's a difference".

"So if you had a chance, say with our band, you wouldn't do it?"

"I'm a bedroom player... I've only ever played in front of the mirror!"

"Look, this is the thing, I suspect  that our guitarist secretly wants to wind down, keeps dropping hints about disliking late nights after gigging, and how he just enjoys the rehearsals, my worry is that by the time this lockdown lifts and the gigs start coming back in, that he'll hang up his hat. You could fit right in."

"Wooah!  wait a minute, I would cringe in front of an audience, my nerves have got nerves, and besides...   I don't have any hair, I'm sorry."

" So wear a hat. Will you at least have a think about it? 

"Will you still show me stuff on the bass?"

"Night and day".

Later at home with Wifey and a glass or two of red. " Col I know you're uncomfortable with playing in front of people, but at least you have the ability to, it's not as if you're struggling to match up, it's just a confidence thing, you'd get over it, plus you already know one of the band pretty well now"

" I'll need a bigger amp"

"Then find one, just don't break the bank okay Hank Marvin?"

"Plus a pedalboard"

"Go on... anything else"

" And a hat".

A week later when I was in town, I stopped to answer my mobile. It was another pesky follow up msg from Gumtree "How did we do? blah blah" only underneath the type was an ad for an amp. Fender Champion 100. Eight miles distant and affordable, and I had stopped right next to my bank. I froze...was this fate? I looked again at the image on the phone,  rang the seller, he  still had it. Arranged a visit and plundered the cashpoint.

Nipped home, chucked an axe plus lead into the car and off. When I got there, the chap had his garage door raised, and rigged up in there was the twin with a vintage Fender Strat leaning against it. My fingers were twitching with anticipation. Chap says " Did you bring a guitar with you?" 

"Erm,   yes in the car. Hang on a mo"  he obviously didn't want my grubby paws on his lovely Strat. Back with my guitar, I plugged in and did a quick tune up. He says '"Sorry 'bout that mate, only my dog followed into the garage and cocked his leg on my guitar."  Ha ha, I had been totally wrong. Bad dog.

I didn't understand the amp at all, so many more dials than my practice one at home. Matter not for it was LOUD. He hastily closed down the garage door mid - Van Halen, and I paid up. Job done.

Next sesh at the studio, I took my new acquisition with me. " What's with the big amp Col?"

" Thought I'd better put it through its paces if it's ever going to grace a stage". He looked surprised. "Thought you weren't up for it".

"That was before I thought about the groupies. By the way, about my possible joining the band,  how will you wangle it with the others especially the resident Eric Clapton?"

"You'll simply be an old mate of mine who's only come along to sit in on our rehearsal. Just do like you have been here, you'll be fine. You're already playing a few of our set."

" Mmm, how many songs are there in the set exactly?"

" Oh about thirty odd, no pressure mind. (what!?)  Anyway by the time the Covid restrictions ease and we can rehearse again you'll have them in the bag, trust me."

Those restrictions eased only two weeks later, so  knowing  but a fraction of their set and nervous as hell I went for it. Turned out that they liked me. Later that evening I had a call from Loudspeaker "Col, they like you, and our guitar man is relieved that you can share some of the lead playing with him, are you in?"

"You betcha, it was a blast."  Six band meetings later and I know the whole set,  just in time for lockdown#2. ∆rse, and double ∆rse!  So now I spend my evenings learning bass to the set list instead and jam along with them all as they are all now so familiar. Bass is coming along fine. And I'm in a BAND. Next hurdle will be playing with an audience, but I no longer worry about that as long as I'm tight with the others.

Well it proves that some things can come out of a ghastly situation. There is always hope somewhere. Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Col.

Edited by Col the Plunker
Typo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Col the Plunker said:

" And a hat".

Standard issue for bass players! Welcome to the club, Col, and a great story.

Years ago I was in a sort of ex-pat, pick-up band for a while. There was a guy who came along to jam at rehearsals, but was convinced he wasn't good enough to gig, and had been a bedroom player all his life. Truth was, he was superb and a 56 we finally persuaded to get on stage and play a couple of numbers. The grin on his face afterwards was blinding!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Col the Plunker said:

up. He says '"Sorry 'bout that mate, only my dog followed into the garage and cocked his leg on my guitar." 

I’m assuming that you’re unfamiliar with the terms “to relic” (verb) and “mojo” (noun)

don’t worry - you’ll learn these real quick 

• Like 1

I was of the “I’ll totally freak in front of an audience” persuasion but once I ignored that and started playing I actually quite enjoyed it. (Could hardly see through the lights anyway) My buddy was happy to have someone else playing to support his weedy acoustic guitar and I was thinking “all those people are clapping and dancing, and I’m making that happen”. And a cute redhead told me I sounded “ducking awesome”. We played Folsom prison blues and jailhouse rock 

P bass plus zoom pedal on ampeg svt simulator == instant confidence 

• Like 1

What a great posting ... I found that my first time playing in bands on guitar was the classic “ what are we all supposed to do” kind of vibe.

Its when you realise you are there to entertain the penny drops and you are a collective “band” of musicians that create this final result called music instead of just an individual playing an instrument!!

Always found it was more rewarding playing bass than guitar especially in bands with only a single guitarist