Why become a member? ×

Which drummer you would like to have played with?

Bassman Sam

It's a long list, including Levon Helm, Zigaboo Modeliste, Jim Keltner, Steve Gadd, Ginger Baker, Jeffrey Jellybean Alexander, Al Jackson, Nikki Glaspie, Mick Fleetwood, Richie Hayward, Stanton Moore and Howard Lee Grimes.

Fabulous drummers I did get to play with, Micky Waller, Glen LeFleur, Henry Spinetti, Graham Walker and for 2 songs, Kenny Jones.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm surprised (and not a little hurt...) that my name has not yet been mentioned. :(

:lol: :P

Make the trip South again Douglas and I’ll set up my drums for you mate. I’ll even make the tea 😂

Paiste Formula 602’s? 1971 Ludwig Acrolite snare etc? Hello, honky tonks!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Drax said:

Would have loved to play with Pierre Moerlen 

Good call 👍 he was a friend of my mum's back in the day.

I would have loved to have played with Duris Maxwell, the drummer on Devin Townsend's Ki. Sadly died in November.

Great question.

Roger Taylor (Queen should use me as their bass player anyway 🙂 ) and I've always been a huge fan of Jeff Rich (from his days in Stretch).

Some great names already. I think Simon Phillips would be good and Gerry Brown (played with Stevie Wonder).

Here's Gerry Brown - if you can tear your eyes away from the backing singers.

• Like 1

Manu Katché, Stewart Copeland, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Tom Brectlein. Probably in that order too. However, I’ve had the privilege to work with a drummer for the last decade or so, who we refer to as Mr Clock. On top of which, he is more than capable of channeling the aforementioned names rather nicely. Undoubtedly, made me a better bass player.

Edited by ezbass

1 hour ago, Drax said:

How brilliant. Would love to hear more about that. Really tragic he’s no longer around, was no age and still playing in his prime.. 

I'll send a PM later 👍

He was an amazing musician - Downwind (the album) was one of the soundtracks to my youth and had a definite influence on my playing style.

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

The two drummers in my main two bands are both exceptional - one is Chris who played with Mega City Four in the 90s so spent 10yrs at pro level. They are both such a pleasure to play with that I don't fantasise about other drummers now. I feel very lucky.

My old band did a good few gigs with MC4. Don’t think they particularly liked us though.

39 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I'll send a PM later 👍

He was an amazing musician - Downwind (the album) was one of the soundtracks to my youth and had a definite influence on my playing style.

Moerlen was extraordinary.

The 2 "Gong" Albums with Allan Holdsworth and Francois Moze (bass) are timeless masterpieces Gazeuse and Expresso II. Both available on CD👍👍

Derrick McKenzie of Jamiroquai and Tony Thompson of Chic.

My sort of drummers in that they just lay it down with huge gravity, absolute groove and no messiness. Never interfering with the pulse of the song. No distracting fills constantly, just pure rhythm.

Edited by 40hz