Why become a member? ×

Bit of a Tool

SteveXFR

I know Tool are overrated and their fans are the even worse than jazz fans but I do love a bit of Tool and Id love to play some Tool but every song I try starts nice and easy before becoming impossible for anyone without fourteen 10" long fingers with seven joints in each. 

Where is a good place to start with Tool? Is there anything which is a bit steadier to play? Should I be trying something from Undertow? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I have tried 46 & 2 but when it gets to the variation of first riff where the drone note moves from the open D to the A#(?) I just can't get my left hand around that. 

It's been a while but I think i know what bit you mean (2:40ish?) - he's not shifting the drone note of the original riff, he's basically playing fifths, letting them ring and throwing in a few hammer ons to give the feel of the original riff shifting up, but in a way that he can actually play. 

Justin chancellor is a brilliantly creative bassist, a virtuoso he ain't. Many of his lines can sound intimidating, but tend to be based around one or two tricks and can sound hard because of the time sigs/rhythm tricks but they just need a bit of work. Lateralus, jambi and the grudge I remember as being fun ones to play.

3 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

start with Sober, their best track IMHO, & from their original bass-player:

I was there when they were becoming popular, they were on the side-stage at Lollapalooza II with RATM

Good tip and a great song. I'll give it a try. 

I saw their original bassist in 2019 playing with Ministry. Really good bassist and it certainly looked like he was enjoying life with Ministry. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2021 at 18:52, NickA said:

It really helps to hang your bass somewhere near your knees, hook your thumb around the neck and to move your hand up and down like a bunch of bananas. 🙂

Does that help to become one of the "Tool Appreciation Society" minions also? Because I don't get what's all the hubbub, bub...