Why become a member? ×

Steel Roundwounds. Who knew?

funkle

Obviously I am an idiot. But I’ve been playing bass for 25 years and never really understood the fuss about steel roundwounds, until now. 

I’ve been used to nickels all my life. I think I flirted with steels once about 15 years ago, and for some reason decided they weren’t for me.

Just put some D’Addario Pro Steels on my Celinder PJ. It’s a match made in heaven. Where on earth have I been? Much clearer bottom and top, top easily tamed by EQ knob if needed, and the roughness of these Steels isn’t too bad. Incredible thump and punch, beautiful.

You probably had my epiphany already. But damn, I might put these on all my basses now. So good. 

Edited by funkle
  • Like 7

It’s funny, I have always used rotosound stainless, but I thought I’d try d’addario XL nickels on my p-bass since lots of other people use them.

So far I really don’t like the top end sound, at least from new. They are zingy, but not in a pleasing way. I’ll stick with them until they dull down a bit and see if they improve.

• Like 2

I love the feel of nickels, with the most comfortable nickels I`ve found so far being Ernie Ball Super Slinkies,  which die too quickly, and Elixirs. But I just prefer the sound of steels, and am really liking Elixir steels at present.

• Like 1

This is interesting! I've been playing nickelplated steel ever since I picked up my first bass, and have never looked at anything else. When I first tried Elixir nanowebs I was sold, and I've pretty much stuck with them until I got my first headless Status and needed double ball strings. I'm now playing their own brand Hotwire double ball strings, which incidentally are Stainless Steel and feel and sound great. I now have two sets of stainless steel Elixirs waiting to be used on two of my regular 5-strings and after reading this thread I might just have to stop waiting :lol:

• Like 1

On 14/02/2021 at 20:15, walshy said:

Nope I have never dabbled with stainless ones, always nickel. I do have a set of DR Hi Beams on the shelf, maybe I should chuck them on a P bass

Ha ha, that's the closest I've got to steels as well. I also have a pack of Hi Beams in the cupboard waiting. 

On 15/02/2021 at 07:24, funkle said:

The biggest problem I’m looking at now is I have 8 basses and might want steels on all of them 😂

Anyone have a good supplier for D’Addario?

I understand that Fender branded strings are made by D’addario snd are quite a good price. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve just been reading and watching Scott Whitley waxing lyrical about GHS Super Steels. I was always a D’Addario EXL nickel guy, but the last few years I’ve been using EB Cobalt flatwounds pretty much exclusively (LaBella nylons on my Rob Allen). I was put off of SS strings due to the roughness I experienced once or twice (I don’t recall the make/s). Maybe time for a revisit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’ve just been reading and watching Scott Whitley waxing lyrical about GHS Super Steels. I was always a D’Addario EXL nickel guy, but the last few years I’ve been using EB Cobalt flatwounds pretty much exclusively (LaBella nylons on my Rob Allen). I was put off of SS strings due to the roughness I experienced once or twice (I don’t recall the make/s). Maybe time for a revisit.

I also really like the DR nickel plated low riders. They’re stiff, bright but feel nicer on the fingers

56 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've always played SS strings. But my Jazz came with Fender nickels on it and they suit it down to the ground.

I find different basses make different music, different strings is part of that.

I had those on my FSR mex precision. They are really nice on there too. These I think:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/fender-super-bass-7250m-nickel-plated-steel-bass-guitar-strings-45-105-long-scale-p928