Why become a member? ×

Authenticity check

sanna_55

Based on the serial number alone the Guitar Dater Project website dates it as a 2007-2008 instrument made at the Corona plant.

So, based on the pics alone, it could be an American Standard with a changed pickguard and added bridge cover?

That’d be my tuppence worth, and there are some great heads on here that I’m sure will add further thoughts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Based on the serial number alone the Guitar Dater Project website dates it as a 2007-2008 instrument made at the Corona plant.

So, based on the pics alone, it could be an American Standard with a changed pickguard and added bridge cover?

That’d be my tuppence worth, and there are some great heads on here that I’m sure will add further thoughts.

Awesome, thanks for your input! 

Welcome sanna ☝️, from what I can see, the tuners are right for a 2007, the headstock decal and the neck plate  looks right , no skunk stripe on the neck is right , it’s got through body stringing, I’m fairly sure that the S1 switch was fitted from 2003-08, it’s not the original pickguard , I’m not sure about the colour , it might be chrome red ? , maybe @AndyTravis could confirm some details 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Welcome sanna ☝️, from what I can see, the tuners are right for a 2007, the headstock decal and the neck plate  looks right , no skunk stripe on the neck is right , it’s got through body stringing, I’m fairly sure that the S1 switch was fitted from 2003-08, it’s not the original pickguard , I’m not sure about the colour , it might be chrome red ? , maybe @AndyTravis could confirm some details 🙂

Thanks Reggae :) I thought maybe fiesta red on the paint, but don't think it's the original colour. Would definitely be replacing that pick guard and etched/corroded control plate! Are these mods detrimental to the value? Someone elsewhere mentioned the drilled holes for the bridge cover will reduce it's worth. 

Edited by sanna_55

23 minutes ago, sanna_55 said:

Thanks Reggae :) I thought maybe fiesta red on the paint, but don't think it's the original colour. Would definitely be replacing that pick guard and etched/corroded control plate! Are these mods detrimental to the value? Someone elsewhere mentioned the drilled holes for the bridge cover will reduce it's worth. 

IMO, if it’s not the original colour then the value has already been reduced, but someone might like the changes, so I think it’s a personal choice , does the seller have the original parts, whenever I’ve modded any of my basses I keep the parts to offer if I sell it 🙂

• Like 1

Here is the official Fender colour chart from the 60's. You can see that according to the photos it could be Dakota Red or Fiesta Red... To me, it's Fiesta Red, because there are shades of orange in the colour, but I would need to see it in the flesh to be sure.

image.thumb.png.41121af1d2d4b206d21388d9402de471.png

• Like 1

The serial number belongs to an American Jazz Bass 2003-3008, 2007 year as previously stated, weirdly the Fender 'register your instrument' only identifies the model but doesn't have the colour of it in the database, I don't know when the Fender data became more comprehensive, but a Squier I have registered from 2006 did have the colour information correct

• Like 1

Well.

the neck is legit.

the body colour doesn’t fit with the era - I’d want to see in the cavities. There was Hot Rod red in the early 2000’s on the USA made basses, but as pointed out elsewhere, Chrome red is right for that era - a more metallic/candy apple looking red - not this red.

Hot Rod Red on the USA basses was lighter than the same colour listed on the Japanese Jag basses. Weird.

the gasket under the neckplate and the neckplate itself are wrong.

Somethings wrong with the whole picture.

So I’d walk away. Could be a refin.

Edit - Pretty convinced it’s a refin. Looks a bit orange peely in the neck plate shot.

if it’s £500...go for it.

Basses from this era aren’t scarce, but are decent workhorse basses. The neckplate is a £3.99 eBay job though.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well.

the neck is legit.

the body colour doesn’t fit with the era - I’d want to see in the cavities. There was Hot Rod red in the early 2000’s on the USA made basses, but as pointed out elsewhere, Chrome red is right for that era - a more metallic/candy apple looking red - not this red.

Hot Rod Red on the USA basses was lighter than the same colour listed on the Japanese Jag basses. Weird.

the gasket under the neckplate and the neckplate itself are wrong.

Somethings wrong with the whole picture.

So I’d walk away. Could be a refin.

Edit - Pretty convinced it’s a refin. Looks a bit orange peely in the neck plate shot.

if it’s £500...go for it.

Basses from this era aren’t scarce, but are decent workhorse basses. The neckplate is a £3.99 eBay job though.

Cheers Andy. Someone elsewhere also picked up on the orange peel from the neckplate shot.

It's not quite as low as 500, but not far off. I think everything is pointing to avoid. Didn't know what sort of value it had and was wondering mostly if it was a good deal, but doesn't sound like. I'm not fussed on the guitar as is and would probably end up having to customise it as much myself as the current owner has done.

Thanks everyone, you're all so helpful!

• Like 1

Having looked again, the neckplate might be ok - the gasket threw me. The corona California typeface is actually ok.

id just say it’s a refin, but like you say - it’s what you’d have to do to get it right...

would look nice with tort, and if the finish is thin, it would wear quickly and you’d have a legit relic jazz 😄

Yep Carl beat me to the push switch - just has a dot rather than line. Chrome red was I think only issued for one year 2004 or2005 as per my S-1 jazz- can’t remember as it’s out on loan- and was red over silver rather than gold (which is candy apple I think). Nice bass all the same

9 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I had a chrome red 2007 jazz. There was a sticker in the neck pocket that gave the colour code.

Yeah - I think this has been sprayed over...no matter what colour it was.

Chrome Red is an ace colour, I loved mystic red too. 

All variations on a theme