Why become a member? ×

Hayman 40/40 bass.

Alan Rider

I've had this since 1979 when I bought it second hand in a Coventry Music shop. I worked a school holiday job to save up to buy it. I recall it was £70 but I may have got that wrong. I was almost as big as I was at the time and I could barely lift it as its a really heavy bass, but it stood out from all the Fender Ps, Jazzes, and Rickenbackers at the time. Horace Panter from the Specials gave me his old case to carry it in. I don't know a huge amount about these. I've not seen any others so I'm guessing it is quite rare? It's got a nice clear acrylic bridge and scratch plate, but one of the tone pot knobs is missing a cap so if anyone knows where I can get one. Do let me know please! 

16133057083668234066601239892474.jpg

16133057489763356773991837517148.jpg

1613305774237425110485783243352.jpg

16133058020507201490827060127667.jpg

16133058400446715538619116436879.jpg

1613305892508452230458562087162.jpg

16133059198607331796458000200169.jpg

• Like 10

That is lovely!  I had one - my first proper bass!  Sold it because it was heavy.

There is a Shergold website that includes a forum.  Hayman are basically the same and often get talked about on there. 

https://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/

I even bought a nos perspex bridge from someone on there.  If they don't have one, they will know if it is possible.

• Like 2

Thanks. Rather a convoluted process to register on the Shergold forum. It's hardly state secrets being exchanged so why do I need to be approved? Ah well. I will just wait and see. Hopefully they will know where I can get a replacement tone pot knob that matches. 

I'd say it is worth hanging on.  It's been a while since I checked in but, back then, one of the guys on there was one of the founders of the whole Shergold/Hayman/Burns thing.  Norman Houlder.  He might be dead by now, of course. 

• Like 1

I had one of these for a while about 5 years ago.. 

It was a great sounding bass and the guys in my rock band at the time loved the sound of it, as did I. 

They are definitely head-turners as basses go and I got a lot of comments when I gigged mine. 

Yours looks like a great example @Alan Rider and great story about Horace Panter too...

Best of luck with getting it sorted out and getting on the Shergold FB forum! 

• Like 1

They are rare, some come up for sale in the US at well over a grand... Though whether they actually sell for that who knows. They often have the headstock logo missing so there's a hole in the head, that and the perspex covers for the bridge/ pickups. I did a bit of research in to these because they served left handers well, they're double P, the name Hayman means a lot to me, and there was one for sale on Denmark Street a few years back for 5 or 600 in a shop that closed down before I could go and check it out, sadly. Would love to get hold of a Hayman guitar at some point. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
25 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Is the bridge pickup screw standing out, or is it a shadow? Just curious.

Pickguard is smoky but clear perspex so that is the body of the screw going through it, I reckon.

I had one, my first 'proper' bass.  At the time I preferred skinnier neck, plus it was a boat anchor, so I moved it on.

• Like 1

Slightly (a lot) off topic, before I went to university I had a summer job with a local builder and we did some work for Jack Gold's son (Jack being one of the founders of Shergold. I didn't realise at the time the connection between Shergold, Burns and Hayman and only associated Shergold with New Order etc. 

I recall Jack Gold had passed away shortly before and his son (really nice chap) had these mint condition Burns guitars, Haymans and a couple of Shergolds sat in gig bags in one of the spare bedrooms. He wasn't a guitarist but had inherited them from his Dad and kept them for posterity. When he found out I was interested in guitars he brought them all down so I could see them. He was very proud of his Dad's legacy and rightly so.

I definitely recall one of these Haymans and a superb Black Bison guitar which I imagine would be worth a fortune now. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 14/02/2021 at 19:54, uk_lefty said:

They are rare, some come up for sale in the US at well over a grand... Though whether they actually sell for that who knows. They often have the headstock logo missing so there's a hole in the head, that and the perspex covers for the bridge/ pickups. I did a bit of research in to these because they served left handers well, they're double P, the name Hayman means a lot to me, and there was one for sale on Denmark Street a few years back for 5 or 600 in a shop that closed down before I could go and check it out, sadly. Would love to get hold of a Hayman guitar at some point. 

I have one 1960s model not I great condition but was thinking of possibly selling it ....

I had one as my first proper bass. It was when Hayman had gone bust and there was a fire at the Fender Soundhouse, and they were clearing out Hayman parts. I intended to build a twin neck bass & guitar but some of the parts didn't fit, so finished up with a 40/40 bass. A few years later, under the misguided impression that Fenders were the bass to have, I traded it in against a Precision.

• Sad 1