Why become a member? ×

Reason v logic

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Howdy! 
A bit  of an odd question here.  Mac user. 
Throughout lockdown I have been recording on GarageBand and quite enjoy doing so . 
I do have reason , but for some reason ( please excuse 😼)  I find that it looks more complicated than GarageBand . Dare I say , intimidating I was wondering , if it was best to try and overcome my fear of using that software , and just purchase logic instead . With GarageBand  for example, it is straightforward  to me ,but reason looks  more complex . 

Any thoughts ? 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I was stuck with Garageband for a week when IT issues bought my Pro Tools to a halt. I found it absolutely awful to use, seriously clumsy. it might take time to learn Reason, or many other packages, but you'll find it's time well spent in the long run

• Like 1

Obviously it depends on what you are used to - as above people complaining about garageband after using pro-tools. First time I used pro tools I couldn't believe how backward it was compared to anything I had used before, which at the time was logic (the older one) and cubase. I seriously can't use protools, its awful (well, I can use it, but I would rather not). Reaper is like an improved pro tools with a cheaper price tag (not a huge fan but have used it a fair bit).

I would say if you like garageband, go to logic, you will find although there is a lot more you can do, the concepts are similar in garage band. Reason is a very different way of working (it is good, but not really the same sort of software). If I was doing EDM or the like, I would be using reason.

But the other question is, if you are happy with garageband, why do you need to change it?

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously it depends on what you are used to - as above people complaining about garageband after using pro-tools. First time I used pro tools I couldn't believe how backward it was compared to anything I had used before, which at the time was logic (the older one) and cubase. I seriously can't use protools, its awful (well, I can use it, but I would rather not). Reaper is like an improved pro tools with a cheaper price tag (not a huge fan but have used it a fair bit).

I would say if you like garageband, go to logic, you will find although there is a lot more you can do, the concepts are similar in garage band. Reason is a very different way of working (it is good, but not really the same sort of software). If I was doing EDM or the like, I would be using reason.

But the other question is, if you are happy with garageband, why do you need to change it?

Good advice

• Like 1

Thanks for your help 👍

It took me a while to get to grips with GarageBand . Thanks Covid .

I looked at logic because apparently if you have reason , then that can be merged into Logic Pro also .. I stand to be corrected. Plus it has loads more stuff .  
The only other applications I have used are Ableton live light and a demo version of cubase many years ago. In terms of ease of use it seems that GarageBand suits me . One example , is that on ableton the transport buttons don't seem straightforward . On GarageBand , everything is in front of you. 
I'll leave it there ..

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

It took me a while to get to grips with GarageBand . Thanks Covid .

I looked at logic because apparently if you have reason , then that can be merged into Logic Pro also .. I stand to be corrected. Plus it has loads more stuff .  

Can you not put reason plugins in garage band?

Yes. Reason has loads that can be put into any DAW (or used stand alone). So is there a reason you want reason but you also want to use it with an external DAW (in that you can use it stand alone).

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

The only other applications I have used are Ableton live light and a demo version of cubase many years ago. In terms of ease of use it seems that GarageBand suits me . One example , is that on ableton the transport buttons don't seem straightforward . On GarageBand , everything is in front of you. 
I'll leave it there ..

Well, the new versions of logic are instantly accessible if you have used garage band but go quite a long way further. By that I mean that they look similar and some things are in the same place, but there is a lot more too it, and it does give you an almost overwhelming list of options. 

• Thanks 1

Two entirely different DAWs with completely different features designed to appeal to users with different needs.

However, you can think of Logic as being GarageBand Pro, so if you like the way that GarageBand works then Logic is definitely worth investigating, plus as others have said it will import your old GarageBand projects. Also while £199.99 might seem like a lot of money, you get a lot of extras in terms of plug-ins, instruments and loops, and unless there is something very specific that you need it terms of effects or instruments, you don't need to spend anything additional to have a fully-featured DAW.

Reason is completely different. If there is a trial version available then download it and have a go and see if it suits you.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went from GarageBand to Logic a good few years ago.  It's a lot of kit for the money.

Look at it as a fully unlocked and expanded version of GarageBand.  Everything has so much to it, but they've managed to keep it very user friendly, so if you just want to write & not spend ages going through things like programming synths & setting up effects, then the presets are ready to use & only need a minor tweak to suit your taste.

I used to have Reason, but that was when it was 2.5.  It was very much just for electronic stuff back then, though I know it's come a long way since then.

It's hard to choose a bad DAW these days.  It's down to what's going to suit the style of stuff you want to do (though you can really do any style on any DAW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

While I'm in the recording section , I thought it best to update 😼

I think that  I'll purchase Logic around Christmas and treat myself to a present then . In the meantime , when I'm more enthused I'll try tackling reason when I'm in the mood . That way , all bases are covered . 

Thanks for your help