Why become a member? ×

Westone The Rail

Alan Rider

This is a real marmite bass. I definitely love it and always wanted to get my hands on one. I held onto that desire for over 30 years and finally I have one. Its in pretty good nick apart from some wear on the pickup paint (easily fixed). A lot of people are very snobby about these but it's very playable, sounds just fine through a decent pedal and amp and it's light weight and uniquely cool 80s look is a bonus in my book. My only bugbear is that the fret markers are dark red on rosewood so impossible to see them under stage lighting, so I needed to add stickers on the neck for that. Anyone have one of these?

16132266032654359079997674343804.thumb.jpg.56494b0d1491e57687a53eaee7a7f008.jpg

16132266442486309155648238044767.jpg

16132266771798192057699371571812.jpg

Edited by Alan Rider
Formatting
  • Like 10

Love a bit of Marmite! Westone made some pretty decent stuff. My first bass was a Thunder Jet and I remember a bass playing friend years ago owning a Pantera. It sounded superb but was well out of my price range at the time. I don't think I've ever seen one since. 

I think the Rail looks great, nothing, as far as I know like it. Wouldn't mind a go on one TBH! 

11 hours ago, bigthumb said:

Love a bit of Marmite! Westone made some pretty decent stuff. My first bass was a Thunder Jet and I remember a bass playing friend years ago owning a Pantera. It sounded superb but was well out of my price range at the time. I don't think I've ever seen one since. 

I think the Rail looks great, nothing, as far as I know like it. Wouldn't mind a go on one TBH! 

I had a Pantera X790 Deluxe for a while.  I think this was Westone's top end of the range then.  Beautifully made instrument.  I read about it somewhere, fell in love, waited a few years before one came up for sale in the Netherlands - I collected it from there!  @Andyjr1515 did a headstock renovation on it as the paint had chipped off from around one of the tuners.  But having GASed for so long I didn't bond with it when I actually got it plus it was too heavy.  Boy did I take a hit when I moved it on!  Say lar vee. :)  

pantera1.jpg

• Like 3

One of those basses I always liked the look of but never got around to picking one up. Now I really wish I had - before MIJ/80s stuff became sought after these were going for under £100, like most other headless types.

I think Westone was, initially at least, a Matsumoku house-brand, so good quality was pretty much guaranteed. One day I'd still like a Rail, Super Headless, Thunder II/III, Quantum...

On 15/02/2021 at 17:06, Bassassin said:

One of those basses I always liked the look of but never got around to picking one up. Now I really wish I had - before MIJ/80s stuff became sought after these were going for under £100, like most other headless types.

I think Westone was, initially at least, a Matsumoku house-brand, so good quality was pretty much guaranteed. One day I'd still like a Rail, Super Headless, Thunder II/III, Quantum...

Jon. . . . .  you should have said something years ago. . . . both now gone back into circulation. 🤔

http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-rails.html

Stay safe mate.

Cheers. 😎

• Like 1