Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

On 07/02/2022 at 18:28, Reggaebass said:

Thanks Paul 👍, its quite worn up close, it’s only a MIM jazz and I had the headstock matched with a gold decal, it plays just as good as my US ones 

I just purchased a fender flea road worn. I wanted a vintage jazz sound and all the forums pointed to the pickups on this as being that.
Never played a jazz before and never entertained the idea of a MiM but I have to say it’s top notch and sounds sublime . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I just purchased a fender flea road worn. I wanted a vintage jazz sound and all the forums pointed to the pickups on this as being that.
Never played a jazz before and never entertained the idea of a MiM but I have to say it’s top notch and sounds sublime . 

They are a great jazz, the stack pots take a while to get used to but I really like them, good build quality too 

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

They are a great jazz, the stack pots take a while to get used to but I really like them, good build quality too 

I really like the stacked knobs, I might take the spring washers out though,

Being used to a tone and volume on the cutlass it’s nice to still have the same for each pickup on the Jazz

I’m also finding it strangely pleasant it’s road worn, it feels comfortable and familiar and no reason to be precious with it, what’s another ding or mark going to do? 🤣😂 

• Like 1

Well I'm going to add another bass to my very short never sell list (along with my old P Bass).

It's my 4003S, which I've not had too long but the circumstances in which I purchased it are very special to me and having spent the weekend playing it learning some new songs it's sublime. I changed the original white plastic for black and I've strung it with TI Roundwounds, so it's not quite stock. It plays beautifully and has that gorgeous "fizzy" Ric sound. 

I've got nine basses in total and this is one of only two I'll never part with, alongside my Martin D-18 :)

BB2F2815-C8AD-4051-8890-02D2D563B9CD.jpeg

• Like 7

On 07/02/2022 at 08:18, Rayman said:

Contrary to what I've said previously, and having spent time with it, I'm going to say this one. For 200 quid its head and shoulders above anything I've had in a long time, it puts a massive smile on my face, it plays itself and it's just an absolute all around belter. I'd be insane to ever let it go, and in fact I want more of them. It's all the bass I've ever wanted and more. 

*I have said all this in the past, the Kinal, the Overwater etc...  but its always been financial difficulties that have forced me to sell previously. Hopefully that won't be an issue again.... but I've learnt to never say never. 

IMG_20211206_113954_674.jpg

I have one of these in natural finish which I bought new something like 30 years ago.  It’s been sitting in the background while fancier basses have come and gone but it’s probably never going to be sold because it’s such a bargain and too good for the money it would command.

There’s quite a bit of love for the B Bass on these forums.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. A future classic, that should be commanding higher prices, it's a joy to play. I'll be on the lookout for a couple more before everyone discovers the secret. Maybe I should shut up about them 😆

Probably won't ever sell my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass for two reasons.

Number one is that I genuinely think its beautiful, I absolutely love the retro look and will probably string it with flats put some sponge under the strings and have it as my Motown sound bass. Reason number two is simply that I wouldn't get much money for it 😂

IMG_0949.JPG

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, NT1991 said:

Probably won't ever sell my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass for two reasons.

Number one is that I genuinely think its beautiful, I absolutely love the retro look and will probably string it with flats put some sponge under the strings and have it as my Motown sound bass. Reason number two is simply that I wouldn't get much money for it 😂

IMG_0949.JPG

I sold mine ☹️ It’s a handsome beast 

Love them all, for a while (have 14, now). Always willing to sell or trade ( up, hopefully), but I’m running outta room

in a “been there, done that”, sense). 

Wife , who indulges me, and dog, who doesn’t care, so long as belly rubs are coming, are not fo sale: anything else, 

make me an offer!

I think I've already sold all the basses I said I'd never sell, noticeably:

Fender player precision sunburst

Fender player precision electron green

Fender precision fsr midnight

Westfield purple precision

Burns bison

G&l l100

Yamaha bb424x metallic red

Sire v7 v2 burgundy

Bass collection power bass custom

Bass collection frankenstein entwistle bass

Currently only left with:

Fender roadworn 50s precision

Hohner b2a

Fender flea jazz

all of which I've said I'll never sell .... 

Edited by la bam
  • Haha 1

On 27/02/2022 at 15:22, Bunion said:

I’m also finding it strangely pleasant it’s road worn, it feels comfortable and familiar and no reason to be precious with it, what’s another ding or mark going to do? 🤣😂 

I love the carelessness you can have with a road worn - especially when gigging out on stage.

Having said that, I have, after many basses and much neurosis about dinging my basses, decided I am taking my EBMM Stingrays out to rehearsal stage and wherever - I'm pretty careful with my things, and I'm tired of having top end basses as case queens (the reason why I went for cheaper basses and relic's)...

... I just told my wife I can't let go of my Stingrays - but I did say so about the Limelights (I still don't want to but have to for budget), so, to answer the question, I can never say never - although the closes thing to 'never' is my Charcoal Sparkle SR4 Special - favourite bass to date, I can say that.

Ander.

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 2

On 27/02/2022 at 21:58, Old Horse Murphy said:

I've got nine basses in total and this is one of only two I'll never part with, alongside my Martin D-18 :)

Nice. Still hope that one day I can capture that charging green SR5. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Thanks. Well, the SR5 hasn't been used in over 3 months, so make me an offer 😉

haha! I’ve no acquisition power! Only my rays Special 4Hs…! What’s the weight out of curiosity?

need to play some lottery ASAP.