Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

On 30/01/2022 at 11:30, Old Horse Murphy said:

My P Bass that was bought with money from my family after my GCSE's. I got it secondhand but it was only a few years old. 

Over the years it's had a new neck, new bridge, new pickguard and has been fitted with Sims LED's. I've also badly touched up some paint chips (done years ago before I appreciated Mojo). It's probably not worth anything to anyone other than me but is the only instrument I can 100% say I would never sell. 

72372AD0-ED19-4A56-85D2-588B0EF9CD22.jpeg

1C7EBA22-232F-4645-812A-9EE29E4B9AA8.jpeg

You can't beat a Fender with a tort plate!

• Like 1

My first Fender, bought completely blind on eBay with every £ I could scrape as a 15 year old. Still rocks today:

485B6394-DC87-47C8-B3AF-A42F6D59FEAB.thumb.jpeg.248945589f2f67a966afca132cdc6a34.jpeg

ALSO. I would struggle to ever sell my Hoppus signature bass. Mark was one of two bassists who inspired me to start playing and it was the bass I really wanted when I bought the Fender above. I couldn’t ever see any prospect of having that amount of money. A few years into my first real job (mid twenties) I got paid a bonus that meant I could make a leap I never thought I’d make. It’s symbolic for me, and they don’t make ‘em anymore so I don’t ever see this one leaving the rack. 

247550F8-CE19-432E-834D-7FB1D5194A9F.thumb.jpeg.aa825c11287dc4c495025990d7b2ab69.jpeg

Spoiler, it also still rocks:

• Like 5

Contrary to what I've said previously, and having spent time with it, I'm going to say this one. For 200 quid its head and shoulders above anything I've had in a long time, it puts a massive smile on my face, it plays itself and it's just an absolute all around belter. I'd be insane to ever let it go, and in fact I want more of them. It's all the bass I've ever wanted and more. 

*I have said all this in the past, the Kinal, the Overwater etc...  but its always been financial difficulties that have forced me to sell previously. Hopefully that won't be an issue again.... but I've learnt to never say never. 

IMG_20211206_113954_674.jpg

• Like 2

I couldn't imagine selling my JV Precision; in part because I don't think I'd recoup what I've put into it - knackered bass + re-finish + new pickup and pickguard - but mostly because I genuinely love it. It sounds great and plays like a dream. The neck is the best I've ever ever played, and it's my favourite colour for a bass too.

20211015_152504.thumb.jpg.5976a6bd2d25198b8ce6324666873e35.jpg

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I didn’t think you’d sell that one Al 🙂

Yup, me neither!

3 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Man, this looks killer. Hope whoever bought it made you a great offer you just could not resist.

Thanks - it's gone to an appreciative home and hopefully for a fair price to both of us.

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I was going to ask what brought about that sale - hope you're ok

All good, thank you matey! I know you and I are both big fans of the "which bass do I reach for?" test. I guess the bassist's equivalent of "mirror, mirror on the wall..." 😄

Well for the first time, since getting it new end-of-line in early 2018, this lovely bass was no longer being automatically reached for and a couple of others were, and my sense was that was not going to change. So it was time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

this lovely bass was no longer being automatically reached for and a couple of others were

I had a few like that, they were just sitting in their cases, a friend came round to look at one and ended up buying 3 from me, which has made room for some more 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

There’s a few I wouldn’t sell and they are both jazzes, lots have come and gone but these 2 are staying , they just set up with a really low action 1.5mm and play really nice 

2456D1A4-8BE7-48D4-9782-D98370BD0038.jpeg

That black one is gorgeous.  What model is it?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I had a few like that, they were just sitting in their cases, a friend came round to look at one and ended up buying 3 from me, which has made room for some more 😁

I like the sound of your friend - does he have any more free evenings coming up? 😄

• Haha 1

The headstock is a great job.  Looks really nice like that to my eyes - I don't think all basses suit a matching headstock but that is brill.  Did you stain the fingerboard black, too, or is it just the way the pic came out?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sprocketflup said:

Forgive my ignorance, what's that one on the left please?

Squier Contemporary Active Jazz...Sweetwater exclusive.

However, there's a similar 40th Anniversary 5-string version coming out soon with the same Midnight Satin finish.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1