Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

My P Bass that was bought with money from my family after my GCSE's. I got it secondhand but it was only a few years old. 

Over the years it's had a new neck, new bridge, new pickguard and has been fitted with Sims LED's. I've also badly touched up some paint chips (done years ago before I appreciated Mojo). It's probably not worth anything to anyone other than me but is the only instrument I can 100% say I would never sell. 

72372AD0-ED19-4A56-85D2-588B0EF9CD22.jpeg

1C7EBA22-232F-4645-812A-9EE29E4B9AA8.jpeg

• Like 5

None of my basses are keepers - I'd let them all go for the right amount of cash (and in one case, we would be talking a very significant amount of cash).  Although...the Spector NS5CR would be hard to let go if the modifications I have planned are completed...simply because no one else would probably want it until they'd actually played it.  It's the only bass I've managed to buy where I had that 'ooh!' reaction on playing it...I missed out on the handful of other instruments I instantly bonded with.

• Like 4

Currently all my basses are keepers for various reasons, the Bongo was a surprise 50th pressie from my best mate and is such a beast it'd be a keeper anyway, the 20th Anniversary SR5 is a brilliant unit that I waited a decade to get hold of and has proved to be almost perfect, and the Frankenstein fretless SR5 isn't a bass anyone would want probably, so it'll hang around until it doesn't, it's a surprisingly good guitar for being cobbled together from bits and pieces.

IMG_6516.thumb.jpeg.3993923025f4457b49eadd118a12593c.jpeg

IMG_4533.thumb.JPG.9d3f124a7800e44250094f3d140ee272.JPG

• Like 3

Like Kiwi, I don't have any keepers. They're tools, and none of them are particularly precious to me. I've had hundreds over the years. Although the Aria Integra 5 is the nearest thing to a keeper.... bought for me by my partner for Christmas.... trouble is I haven't decided if I'm keeping her or not yet.

On 30/01/2022 at 11:30, Old Horse Murphy said:

My P Bass that was bought with money from my family after my GCSE's. I got it secondhand but it was only a few years old. 

Over the years it's had a new neck, new bridge, new pickguard and has been fitted with Sims LED's. I've also badly touched up some paint chips (done years ago before I appreciated Mojo). It's probably not worth anything to anyone other than me but is the only instrument I can 100% say I would never sell. 

Great looking bass Nick, & great history with it.

• Thanks 1

I think I've been lucky with all my 6, hopefully 7 keepers. All 2nd hand, & priced from £100 - £250. 

1. Tokai SGB translucent cherry red medium scale - 1980s.

2. Aria Pro Cardinal CB380 translucent cherry red. medium scale - 1983.

3. Hofner Contemporary Violin sunburst short-scale - 2010s. 

4. Tanglewood Violin sunburst short-scale - 2010s.

5. Squire Mustang sunburst short-scale - 2010s.

6. Squire Mustang fiesta red short-scale - 2010s. 

7. Yamaha Motion B II white - medium scale - ?

Not sure about the date this was made as a student starter bass. Just had the body resprayed in a warm white. The neck is good. I have a replacement Hipshot bridge to fit. The tuners seem fine. It's very light-weight. 

I often play my humble collection one after the other & enjoy the different look, feel & tone of each. 

15 hours ago, chris_b said:

I have a 68 Fender Precision which I bought new at the start of 1969. I'd have to be in a wheelchair, but even then I can't see me selling that bass.

I did sell my original 70s P bass that I cut my teeth with and always regretted it. However, about 18 months or so ago I managed to buy it back! It was actually quite emotional getting it back and I certainly have no intention of ever selling it again. 

I have to be careful about saying never, as I have sold basses that I never thought I would in the past. I have an Xotic active jazz that I can never see myself parting with and a 91 Stingray that I got from a friend that I will keep (I've moved Rays on in the past and regretted it and then gone out and bought another, so I'm going to try and keep this one). 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

On 30/01/2022 at 11:30, Old Horse Murphy said:

Trigger's Broom Bass? :D 

• Like 1

I've got 2 that I'd hate to get rid of, even if I lost both my arms I'd probably still keep them and just learn to headbutt my way through songs.

The Ric was my gigging bass through my 20s, I've had it the longest, it has the most sentimental value to me and I just love it. Plus, its probably the hardest tone to recreate unless I bought another Ric.

The Ovation used to belong to John Entwistle, so I'm getting buried with it.

PXL_20210915_110955193.jpg

• Like 2

On 14/02/2021 at 16:09, outtaseezun said:

Oh maaaan! 

I used to have a Fame Baphomet 6 string 5 years ago & it's the only bass i regret selling.. well maybe that Rockbass Starbass too... but i am swapping my SR506 for a defretted neck-through Baphomet this week.. 

The basses i have & would never sell are basically the two i own:

- RMI Quantum Dominic di Piazza Signature 6-string by Mark Ramsay

- Ibanez BTB846SC 

Okay so i lied. I have sold all three basses (Baphomet, BTB & RMI). They have found better homes & are in good hands now...

• Haha 2

I’ll update mine. Previous entry was the 2006 BTB Prestige on the right. My first breath-takingly brilliant bass so never getting sold.

The Ibby SR fretless because - it’s sooo cool and so light and the piezo sounds ace. I must *actually* play it, though. I don’t really ‘do’ fretless, but if I sold it I’d end up buying another one, so it stays.

My darling is Betsy, my 2014 Fender Dimension USA Deluxe V. I can’t put it down… it plays effortlessly, it can do any sound you can think of, and with the recently added tort plate it’s the best looking bass I’ve ever had. Fender should have sold 10,000s of these. I want another one in Root Beer with a rosewood board which I’d string with flats. Bit obsessed!!

67C025AE-18DD-4B57-BB05-509FEA444487.jpeg

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2

Two Wal mk1’s. The fretless in particular is very special to me. Bought for my 21st in 1983 by my Dad, who unfortunately passed away just two months later. Obvious sentimental value but the fact that it’s a truly wonderful thing helps immensely. I’m 60 this year and this bass feels and plays as good if not better that it did 38yrs ago. 

B90F1B32-21ED-4FD6-9485-4B394EE9221D.jpeg

2F399BC2-1864-4B86-A4EE-88C345A3F429.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kevan said:

Two Wal mk1’s. The fretless in particular is very special to me. Bought for my 21st in 1983 by my Dad, who unfortunately passed away just two months later. Obvious sentimental value but the fact that it’s a truly wonderful thing helps immensely. I’m 60 this year and this bass feels and plays as good if not better that it did 38yrs ago. 

B90F1B32-21ED-4FD6-9485-4B394EE9221D.jpeg

2F399BC2-1864-4B86-A4EE-88C345A3F429.jpeg

What a wonderful memory to have of your father.

• Like 1