Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

4 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I did the same thing with my Blade B2. It now has a Sadowsky preamp and pups. The Blade is a very nice bass with some neat design features. I particularly like the truss rod wheel, which has a "Levinson" brand name as a cover on the neck heel.

IMG_0609.thumb.JPG.cdcfbcec4bb1ba8d7ffec5bf8a3221e1.JPGIMG_0610.thumb.JPG.93b730d133ed311be727df54e46ad19a.JPG

Very nice! Did you notice much of a difference between the Levinson and Sadowsky pickups? I like the Levinsons but, without the dummy coil, there is no hum-cancelling. I'll live with it for now and see how much of an issue it turns out to be (or try to figure out a way to wire it in).

A 1973 Jazz I bought in 1981 and have gigged it regularly ever since. It will probably never be sold in my lifetime. 
The Ibanez is a recent acquisition. Very nice instrument taking a bit of getting used to, if I’m honest. 
Might be a keeper. 

284AA32C-73B1-4D3E-B951-78E60EA56ED5.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Did you notice much of a difference between the Levinson and Sadowsky pickups?

Thanks.

When I bought the Blade it had Bart pups and an East preamp, so I can't really comment on the difference between the Levinson pups and those from Sadowsky. I wanted a backup "Sadowsky sound" to my Metro, but without the stress of it attracting gig dinks. As it turns out, the Blade delivers in spades and is a great gigging bass................whenever that might happen in the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

BB for the win! I sold a 425. Shouldn’t have in hindsight but the herd was too big at the time!

Well, it’s messed with and to be fair - it’s seen off more expensive BB’s and even gets picked over a sadowsky for most stuff...and it’s only “worth” about £200 at a push.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Well, it’s messed with and to be fair - it’s seen off more expensive BB’s and even gets picked over a sadowsky for most stuff...and it’s only “worth” about £200 at a push.

just think if the Sadowsky was orange...

My first “real” bass was a pawn shop purchase Peavey Fury. Since my last name is actually Fury, it was like it was made for me. I have much better playing basses now but it will stay in the family. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, outtaseezun said:

Little confession: sometimes i feel like selling my 3 basses & starting over again.. 

Don't you?

Can't say I've ever felt like a full on clear out and start again. Waste of time anyway - history shows that I'd just go and get another Jack Casady so I might as well keep the one I've got :)

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 1

Given the amount of basses I used to buy and flip over the years, I don't think anything is safe.

Closest would be my all black parts mix Fender Jazz. Plays like a dream and sounds good. It's not too hard on the eyes either. I'd say it's pretty safe.

I will never sell my first P bass, which has been my second bass overall. I bought it a few months after starting to play because I knew I wouldn't stop any time soon (it's been 13 years) so I put most of my pocket money in it.

I pretty much learned to play on it, played my first and latests gigs, recorded 4 albums. It feels like a friend.
576054952_Screenshot(388).thumb.png.4ec2ebbbef5ac88747cb5d6524c60284.png

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm wondering if on the BassRetailersChat forum there's also a thread entitled Basses You'll Never Sell? and how different its tone is. 

I think there's a sweepstake on the Mods section of basschat being run called "Basses they said they would never sell" 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SonnyBassPlayer said:

I will never sell my first P bass, which has been my second bass overall. I bought it a few months after starting to play because I knew I wouldn't stop any time soon (it's been 13 years) so I put most of my pocket money in it.

I pretty much learned to play on it, played my first and latests gigs, recorded 4 albums. It feels like a friend.
576054952_Screenshot(388).thumb.png.4ec2ebbbef5ac88747cb5d6524c60284.png

Love that, when you have so much history with an instrument it’s that which makes it irreplaceable, not the cash value, name on the headstock of year of manufacture.

• Like 2

Here's a bass I can never sell.... 

My 1984 Aria Pro II SB Elite 1, bought it as a wreck, did it up, enjoyed it but then had second thoughts. Sold it on Reverb, DPD lost it in their system. Buyer got a refund after three weeks. A week later the bass arrived with him. He re packaged it and dropped it at a depot to ship back to me. I got it back with the knobs missing and electronics not working. 

I got a Kiogon loom in it and new knobs. It plays like a beast, the wiring really brings the best out of the pickup. Great. I want a new expensive bass so this has to go. Its been for sale on loads of sites just waiting for an 80s mad Aria loving left handed bassist.

This, thus far, is the bass I can never sell. 

• 9 months later...

I'm calling myself out here...

I'm having some difficulty with the idea of keeping the Jaydee.

For various reasons.

It's so nice, I'm scared of damaging it at a gig. 
I'm growing to really dislike the MK relationship with these basses. I'm not an MK wannabe.
I could do something else, more versatile, with the money.

I really didn't realise that getting something so nice was backing myself into a corner.

3 minutes ago, BritBass 2 said:

Owned many basses , all gone apart from these three which are most certainly staying .

E7D9F65B-AF51-4608-83AD-78D827228D0D.jpeg

44F18939-CFD3-4CCD-8BEB-2BE59B80D959.jpeg

AA4A4762-4D2F-41EA-85F0-97AB8A88B4B9.jpeg

Are you sure you really need this strange bright one in the middle? It clearly does not go well with the other two. Happy to be of help and take it from you. As the great late Meat Loaf once sang "Two out of three ain't bad" 😉 

• Haha 1