Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

47 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

1259946755_JDpic1.thumb.jpg.0f0ca01756c7998ec8d0eb1fae6adef3.jpg

Nice and thanks for that. I can't see a Supernatural without a Level 42 tune playing in my head and remembering going into the short lived Allbang & Strummit shop in London.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

I'd sell anything if I needed the cash badly enough.

My basses are an absolute luxury, and owning three is frankly extravagant, so they'd be among the first things to go.

I enjoy owning them while I'm fortunate enough to be able to do so, in the full knowledge that hard times could descend upon me again at any moment.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

I'd sell anything if I needed the cash badly enough.

My basses are an absolute luxury, and owning three is frankly extravagant, so they'd be among the first things to go.

I enjoy owning them while I'm fortunate enough to be able to do so, in the full knowledge that hard times could descend upon me again at any moment.

The reality is we are all in this position.

I know I'm fortunate to own the instruments I do, I see some as 'cash I can enjoy' and others in a much more sentimental light. But you are correct, they are all sellable assest if push came to shove. I hope to not have to liquidate them, but I would if I had a good enough reason to. 

Instruments are a luxury we're lucky to enjoy. 

• Like 2

IMG_0035.thumb.JPG.06a6d3835b200f4ea1b98ef1771faf76.JPG

Warwick 5th Anniversary Streamer - It may look like any old Warwick Streamer but there is no Streamer with a thinner, rigid neck (count the laminates) or a thinner, lighter body AND the pup combo positively growls... even though I play it 90% just on the neck pup!  

• Like 6

I am rapidly falling in love with the Blade B4 I picked up last year. Instantly, it felt right in hand and the build quality is superb but the somewhat quirky electronics took some getting used to. 
1319D833-9C57-4443-88F2-04003AB0D196.thumb.jpeg.259a8979d05d05a5106abdc4cdff3a70.jpeg

After living with it for many months, I recently popped a Sadowsky preamp in there instead and... yeah, this is really bang on now. I am very much smitten.

7F54322B-BB21-4568-86B2-DCDEB0C27F39.thumb.jpeg.ef882caa205bd4181222e5d66d93e47b.jpeg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I am rapidly falling in love with the Blade B4 I picked up last year. Instantly, it felt right in hand and the build quality is superb but the somewhat quirky electronics took some getting used to. imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2
1319D833-9C57-4443-88F2-04003AB0D196.thumb.jpeg.259a8979d05d05a5106abdc4cdff3a70.jpeg

After living with it for many months, I recently popped a Sadowsky preamp in there instead and... yeah, this is really bang on now. I am very much smitten.

7F54322B-BB21-4568-86B2-DCDEB0C27F39.thumb.jpeg.ef882caa205bd4181222e5d66d93e47b.jpeg

Nice - I particularly love the fretboard. Is that ebony? I love solid black fingerboards.

13 minutes ago, ped said:

Sweet basses, those. What were the original electronics? 

On top, vol-blend-tone with a two-way switch to bypass the preamp. Simple enough... 🙂

In the cavity, however, things get a little complicated 😂

Starting from the left, gain pots for each pickup. Just above the blend pot, there's a control which allows you to dial in how much the dummy coil (wrapped in copper below) is integrated and reduces hum. To the right there are bass-mid-treble gain pots. It's the kind of thing you set and live with until you pop the lid again, which is fine but just a bit too much hard work to adjust for me. Very clever, all the same, which is why I wanted to give it a chance.

It's a really, really nicely designed and put together bass and the more straightforward Sadowsky preamp has turned it into a World Champion for me.

E52BDFB5-6086-4E21-8DAC-904338672B5F.jpeg.60f17592e0c51225163e2f0ea89bccd8.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doctor J said:

On top, vol-blend-tone with a two-way switch to bypass the preamp. Simple enough... 🙂

In the cavity, however, things get a little complicated 😂

Starting from the left, gain pots for each pickup. Just above the blend pot, there's a control which allows you to dial in how much the dummy coil (wrapped in copper below) is integrated and reduces hum. To the right there are bass-mid-treble gain pots. It's the kind of thing you set and live with until you pop the lid again, which is fine but just a bit too much hard work to adjust for me. Very clever, all the same, which is why I wanted to give it a chance.

It's a really, really nicely designed and put together bass and the more straightforward Sadowsky preamp has turned it into a World Champion for me.

Interesting!! They're Swiss, aren't they? Makes sense. I've only ever heard good things about them and remember playing a similar one to yours many years ago. I know what you mean about popping the hood and fiddling - I have one similar with four dip switches and in the first few weeks I was always popping off the back and adjusting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

I am rapidly falling in love with the Blade B4 I picked up last year. Instantly, it felt right in hand and the build quality is superb but the somewhat quirky electronics took some getting used to. imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2

It even looks better with the Sadowsky knob array. I remember playing a Blade donkey’s years ago, IIRC it was very nice and as a Sad preamp tone lover, I can only imagine this being the dog’s dangly bits.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I did the same thing with my Blade B2. It now has a Sadowsky preamp and pups. The Blade is a very nice bass with some neat design features. I particularly like the truss rod wheel, which has a "Levinson" brand name as a cover on the neck heel.

IMG_0609.thumb.JPG.cdcfbcec4bb1ba8d7ffec5bf8a3221e1.JPGIMG_0610.thumb.JPG.93b730d133ed311be727df54e46ad19a.JPG

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, kendall said:

Loving the Sisters of Mercy pic!

Signed by Patricia Morrison, who of course mimed the bass parts to that 2nd album. The light caught the picture to the right which is Craig Adams autograph and since that was taken I have added Tony James signed poster to the right of that one. A trilogy of Sisters bass players!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Signed by Patricia Morrison, who of course mimed the bass parts to that 2nd album. The light caught the picture to the right which is Craig Adams autograph and since that was taken I have added Tony James signed poster to the right of that one. A trilogy of Sisters bass players!

Very cool. I'm not envious in the slightest, honest.😁

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

? I didn't know that! Who played on Lucretia then?

This is what wikipedia says about the album as a whole

Floodland was pieced together on a computer that used sequencers to help. Eldritch worked on the recorded parts with a Voyetra Sequencer Plus, while a Yamaha SPX-90 was used as an effects unit and the parts were saved on a Compaq Portable 286. The guitars were played by Eldritch himself, apart from the solo on "This Corrosion", which was played by Steinman's friend Eddie Martinez

• Thanks 1