Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

4 hours ago, meterman said:

That throw is a keeper too. Getting a Fabulous Thunderbirds vibe off the pair of them 👍

Haha, sadly the Keith Ferguson Tribute Throw went to the Great Home Furnisher in The Sky a few years ago...  😞

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

image.thumb.png.3002bf385b9d5f190d0199764ddfa4ee.png

I guess this one.

and what's the secret little black knob do? Is that the encoder to send midi signals to turn both your and the guitarists effect to the next snapshot, the light show to move on and also the smoke machine to turn on? 

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

and what's the secret little black knob do? Is that the encoder to send midi signals to turn both your and the guitarists effect to the next snapshot, the light show to move on and also the smoke machine to turn on? 

Laser beam from the headstock 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Wow that’s nice EBS , what is it 

Its a GB Spitfire - www.gbguitars.co.uk

16 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

It's the rotary selector switch for the sound to light LED system.

• Like 1

Using 'grab in a fire' test, and given that I have two hands, I'd go for these two:

ACG fretless, the first custom bass I ever owned, stunning to play and quite easy on the eye too:

926648659_ACGfinal22121202.jpg.a9c9ac831be2accc0a777fedba908300.jpg

And slightly surprised myself by chosing my '66P bass for the other hand.

_MG_0002.thumb.JPG.d53d7066194c37db2480d9dfb46cf8b0.JPG

• Like 4

On 18/02/2021 at 08:01, NancyJohnson said:

Every one of your basses has a price, much as I love my kit, they're all expendable.  I said I'd never get rid of my white Thunderbird but as soon as I got GAS elsewhere, boom, up for sale.

It'd take soooooo much more than mere GAS for me to part with my Wal. Impending homelessness or a need for expensive life-saving surgery, maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It'd take soooooo much more than mere GAS for me to part with my Wal. Impending homelessness or a need for expensive life-saving surgery, maybe.

Rich, health issues aside, have you never had a moment where you just make a decision in an instant? 

I recall being in WH Smith in Reading a few years back, I picked up a copy of the US Bass Player magazine and saw an article about Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament.  He was pictured with his Lull Signature model.  At that point I was up to about nine or ten Thunderbirds and it was like someone just threw a switch, I knew instantly that my foray into Gibson basses was pretty much over there and then.  In an instant it was like, 'I really need to sell my Gibsons and get one of those.'

Thing is, nothing is forever.  I've had to sell stuff to cover building work, years ago a really nice Warwick that I'd desired for a really long time facilitated part of my kitchen...now that hurt a lot at the time, but I know now that ultimately I would never have kept that bass, otherwise I'd have tried to buy it back.  Onwards and upwards.  Never go back.

I do understand the importance of possession on the human psyche; if you did needed the swag, I'd happily let you pawn the Wal to me and I'd just store it unplayed until you could settle the funds back.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are the only basses I've owned for the last 4 or so years I think. Sire V7 and Squier VM Precision. They didn't cost much, the Sire was under £ 300 and the Squier was £150. I really like both of them so can't see me selling them unless I needed the money or couldn't play anymore.

(and that is about all the gear I own in that picture. 2 basses, a cab (not that one though) an amp and a box (now a bag) of cables and a few pedals. Travel light :) )IMG_1066.thumb.jpeg.94f45a97e802f100e9b4b5b63e9ea2e5.jpeg

• Like 4

On 18/02/2021 at 08:53, stewblack said:

I suspect @TrevorRand I are of a similar vintage! My red Aria, so battered now it's worthless to anyone else, but to me it's a tangible link to my life of music.

It's been in studios, on stages, in pubs, clubs, and fields. I have lost a lot of my memories, but that bass can transport me back in an instant. 

Also my Aria TAB semi was a gift from my old man, who knew he wasn't going to see another Christmas. Goes without saying that one never leaves. 

This, really. My favourite bass was, from the moment I picked it up and plugged it in, something entirely different to anything else I’ve ever played, and remains so. And the memories attached to it, both musical and other, are far too precious to me for me to ever consider selling it for mere money. I recently told someone I wouldn’t swap it for a genuine ‘59 Les Paul (current value what, something like £200k plus?) and I meant it. The only thing that would change that would be if I had to sell it in order to save a life, human or animal. And possibly - although even then I’m not sure - if I could no longer play. I actually worry about what will happen to it after I’m dead!😂

• Like 1