Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

18 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

My trusty 66 Precision. 

The two pictures are about 35 years apart. I use my SVL's live but this will never go anywhere (until my eldest daughter inherits it).

52259338_10215608890353440_3807462562006564864_o (4).jpg

Just to let you know, I am in fact your eldest daughter... when can I have my bass please? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

That, sir, is THE perfect Thunderbird.

Why thank you...it took me a while to get just where I wanted it (it had a Lakland neck originally, and getting the U-Retro in and the pickups under the covers was a bit of a squeeze)...the pic doesn't do the birdseye justice (tho it's not as 'marmalade' (Jon's word) as the other one)...both basses have the same neck profile, based on the other Shuker on the left, out of shot...

11 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

SVL? 

Basses made by SVL Guitars. Simon Law is Pete Townsend's guitar tech and an excellent luthier. He generally makes 6 strings (based on earlier employer Robben Ford's tele and Matt Schofield's strat) but he asked if he could make me a bass and these are using my 66 as the model.

I didn't want to take the old basses on the road.

20190311_095209.jpg

• Like 6

Oh, listen to you lot!  'I'd never sell this, my trusty Archangel Splattenberger seven string, my late grandmother (15 times removed), bequeathed it to me on her deathbed in 1902, which says something as I wasn't even born then.  I played it at the Queen's coronation.  Well, I was thinking about it while I was watching a documentary about the Queen.'

Every one of your basses has a price, much as I love my kit, they're all expendable.  I said I'd never get rid of my white Thunderbird but as soon as I got GAS elsewhere, boom, up for sale.

We are a fickle bunch, so attached to some wood and wires.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Oh, listen to you lot!  'I'd never sell this, my trusty Archangel Splattenberger seven string, my late grandmother (15 times removed), bequeathed it to me on her deathbed in 1902, which says something as I wasn't even born then.  I played it at the Queen's coronation.  Well, I was thinking about it while I was watching a documentary about the Queen.'

Every one of your basses has a price, much as I love my kit, they're all expendable.  I said I'd never get rid of my white Thunderbird but as soon as I got GAS elsewhere, boom, up for sale.

We are a fickle bunch, so attached to some wood and wires.

You emotionless heathen!!!! Be gone from this forum... BE GONE!!!!

• Haha 5

I suspect @TrevorRand I are of a similar vintage! My red Aria, so battered now it's worthless to anyone else, but to me it's a tangible link to my life of music.

It's been in studios, on stages, in pubs, clubs, and fields. I have lost a lot of my memories, but that bass can transport me back in an instant. 

Also my Aria TAB semi was a gift from my old man, who knew he wasn't going to see another Christmas. Goes without saying that one never leaves. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think it's been one of those things where the basses with the emotional attachment to have been replaced by something else. By the time they have been sitting in unplayed for a year or so, objectively unless I want to own lots of basses, I may as well let them go someplace else. 
Or in the case of a couple I've let go, the bass the cash allowed me to get was far more valuable than the emotional value of the bass to me. 

13 hours ago, tony_m said:

I won't be letting my mid '90s MIJ '51 Precision Reissue go anywhere anytime soon. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary maybe, but it just has the look, the feel, and the sound for me...

51p.jpg.03d29d66f978b06150f8febe449082a6.jpg

That throw is a keeper too. Getting a Fabulous Thunderbirds vibe off the pair of them 👍

Edited by meterman
Full sentence instead of arf a sentence
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Very true. When I split with the missus a few years ago and needed to raise cash for the legal bill, I worked out the order in which I'd sell them via a complex mental formula of emotional vs actual worth vs playability vs versatility. The ESP would have been last to go but, yes, everything would have gone if required. Thankfully, it didn't come to that. 

Starting from scratch would have been very interesting 😁

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1